jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (7 posts)

How Do You Think Outside Of The Box?

1. 0
    ryankettposted 6 years ago

I've started digesting my strategies and have begun the process of thinking about ways that I could further build my long term revenues and traffic, it seems to be a slow process - but I am currently focussing on the following:

- Global Hub Topics: We all know that any hub about India gets a fair bit of traffic, and what about that equally massive market of China? Low paying hits of course, but will they always be? I'm not so sure. Two future superpowers. I struggle to penetrate western English speaking markets, so why not try and penetrate global ones? I now have several hubs about Indian music and a hub about a huge Chinese website. As their economies start showing significant growth again, am I not going to benefit from increasing ad revenues? I am throwing out a few hubs to test the waters, so far pretty successfully, in a few years they will be well and truly stuck to the top of English language Googles smile I have long relied on UK, USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand and Ireland. The global English speaking population is much wider than that, so I am trying to tap into markets which are relatively untouched on Hubpages.

- I have never really been successful on Amazon, $30 in a month is the norm. How could I rectify this? Every time I open up one of my hubs now I review my use of space and the relevance of the products. Whereas I would often have a standalone Amazon capsule after text, I have realised that there is space being wasted. It is possible to have one Amazon capsule on the left and one immediately adjacent on the right. More products displayed, no more space being taken up. The early results are encouraging.

- I now make sure that each of my new hubs is linked with highly relevant other hubs from my portfolio. This can only be a good thing for traffic retention. Well I have always done this anyway, but a bit of careful consideration about what people are likely to want to read next has really worked in rejuvinating a couple of my 'dead' hubs. I appreciate the value of internal traffic more than ever, it all counts as most internal traffic was originally organic. I have often written new hubs and not gone back and linked them up with relevant older hubs. A lot of work to be done with this one still, but there are hundreds of possible internal backlink combinations that I could still exploit.

- I have also identified the need to go over my old hubs to try and manipulate ad position to maximise CTR. At some stage I will use Analytics to identify hubs with a very low CTR (like under 1%) and then review them to determine whether I could encourage more activity through a restructure.

The reason in this thread wasn't to bore you with a long essay, but to try and find out what methods other hubbers are taking to try and increase their revenues or traffic. I wouldn't say that any of my current focuses are out of the box, as the title suggests, but some of yours may be! Call it 'inspiration' or something. So, what tips and tricks or ideas could you give other hubbers?

2. lxxy profile image61
    lxxyposted 6 years ago

The fact you're being very conscious of all of these things shows some very good progress in your attempts to make money.

Niche writing helps, and building a rapport with an audience. I do also suggest taking to other sites like Twitter, FB, StumbleUpon, Digg, etc.

I tend to ask myself 5,000 times a day--how can I mangle that little slice of life XOR information and turn it into something readable to my audience?

Oh, and I don't pretend to be none too serious. Although I do discuss difficult topics.

1. 0
      ryankettposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Lol, don't worry by backlinking and 'tweeting' is sound wink

I am at the forefront of hubs about backlinking lol

I forgot to add, that every single one of my new hubs now has an RSS capsule displaying my 'latest hub'. That is 12,000 to 15,000 people per day who could potentially, if I added this to all of my hubs, get presented with the chance to visit my latest hubpage. That really is something which I need to roll out onto all of my old hubs, as it maximises the chances of a nice early organic backlink...

1. lxxy profile image61
        lxxyposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I'm with ya there. I'm pretty good at backlinking, too..I think we all learn how to.

I don't do the RSS Feed much, but I may start doing it a bit more often. Just have to convince myself it's not an eye sore.

1. 0
          ryankettposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Yeah they are not too pretty, but they are effective. I would like to see whether there is anything Hubpages could do to smarten those up actually! Maybe offer a widget style box which can be colour customised or something.

1. lxxy profile image61
            lxxyposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Great idea! Maybe we shall put it into the suggestion box, eh? wink

3. Beth100 profile image83
    Beth100posted 6 years ago

You both boggle my mind!  I'm struggling with keeping up on backlinking at various sites and writing.  However, I have included linking capsules to my own hubs, but I haven't seen too much traffic go through that way.  My simple question:  how do you keep up with updating at the backlinking sites, upgrade your hubs to include RSS feeds in old hubs and still write?!?  I'm great at organizing and time management, but I'm bogged down at this simple step.  What's your secrets?