jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (7 posts)

Using your own archived material

1. 72
    eldritchposted 6 years ago

I've been writing drivel all over the internet since it was formed. It occurs to me that, rather than leaving it all on the discussion forums it was originally posted on, I could use some of the better stuff to earn income via Hubs. That's thirteen years worth of stuff.

The problem as I see it is that if you just copy your material from another forum onto hubs you'd essentially be guilty of plagiarizing your own material.
    A solution to this would be to remove the content from the original forum, if possible, but I'm not sure how perfect a solution this is. The original content would still be in the google cache for a while.

Any one done this or could advise me how to go about it?

1. Marisa Wright profile image93
      Marisa Wrightposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Yes, I've done it. I think the importance of the Google cache is way overstated.

I joined Today.com when it first started and they were paying $1 per unique post. I had two old blogs that weren't working, so I saved all the posts and deleted the blogs a week before I signed up.   Then I pasted all the posts into my Today.com blogs, scheduling two posts daily for a month.

Out of 60 posts, only two triggered the duplicate filter on Today.com. 

So I think you'd be safe. Besides, even if you triggered the duplicate filter at first, your OP's would soon disappear and you'd be fine.

2. Cagsil profile image83
    Cagsilposted 6 years ago

The only solution I can see is to not create duplicate content, but to write slightly off topic of what you've written elsewhere.

Only original content is allowed and you'll get penalties for duplicate content.

I write about Life and different aspect of it. Each aspect has more than one side.

3. TerryGl profile image61
    TerryGlposted 6 years ago

Yes I have done this. I transferred my website from a html site to a Wordpress blog. What I did was firstly to close the site and waited seven days.

After seven days I copied and pasted the content into the wordpress blog and fired it all up using the scheduler, meaning a post 2 times a day at different times through the day.

All of the content resumed its natural page 1 on the search engines and had the correct url for the wp blog. The content also passed copyscape so all was good with this time frame.

So in your case I would shut down the content, wait and put up your hubpage.

I know as you do this and read through your content you will make changes in the wording and even elaborating on the points. That will naturally assure you of not triping the dup content filter.

4. Ivorwen profile image84
    Ivorwenposted 6 years ago

I have rewritten several pieces of my work.  Usually, after looking the original over, I can come up with more information, a better way to say something, or a new slant on the topic.  It has been worth the effort, and I need to do more of it.

5. Lisa HW profile image84
    Lisa HWposted 6 years ago

Maybe we're not supposed to encourage this (by any means), but I have several Hubs that I also have on other sites.  They're things I happened to think were decent and wanted to post them as Hubs.  Several are in the 90's (HubScore), and as of this writing anyway, two are 97/98.  They were on the other sites first but not getting much traffic anyway.  I know I should pull them off the other sites, and maybe one day I will.  I just haven't yet.

I think, even if something isn't recommended (and even though there are good reasons for it), there's a little bit of room for doing the occasional "off" thing for your own reasons (as long as it's not too far "off", and as long as you understand the possible down side).

I think we benefit from as many Hubs that are well written/well designed as possible, and if we don't earn from them they're still there making our "collection" look better.  If we do end up earning from them, that shows that the stuff is better off here than on some other sites.  It looks to me as if, provided most of our stuff is original on here, there's room (in scores) for a few, select, duplicate pieces.  One of the things I like about HubPages is that the people running it seem to understand that writers sometimes have their own reasons for doing one thing or another, and they allow for that little bit of freedom (as long as people know it isn't "the best" or recommended).

6. sunforged profile image70
    sunforgedposted 6 years ago

Your hubs are likely to outrank random posts at random forums - so its a non-issue.

Im sure a straight up copy and paste wont translate well anyway - you probably need a new intro paragraph or two - some updates regarding things that may have changed in the years since you made your OPs

In the end you will probably have a fairly unique piece of content anyway