jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (12 posts)

Comment Spam

1. aimeeSF profile image78
    aimeeSFposted 6 years ago

One of my hubs, specifically the Golden Gate Bridge hub, is receiving a lot of spam comments (18... 16 of them being in the last 15 minutes).  It is from ONE specific IP address: 69.123.15.112 - whoever it is, is having a one-liner conversation with himself/herself.

Example:
    bovb says "i'm working on a paper" (7:02am)
    h says "cool. i hate papers."  (7:03am)
    c says "ya me too"  (7:04am)
    bovb says "ya cool h not c"  (7:05am)

Funny thing is, these were all in my pending to be moderated section so I marked them for spam then deleted them forever.

Is there a way we can block IP addresses on our accounts or to hubpages in general?

Thanks,
    Aimee

1. relache profile image87
      relacheposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Once a message or IP address has been marked as "spam" enough times, it will trigger a filter that will automatically deal with it.  Keep flagging and the system will get trained.

aimeeSFposted 6 years ago in reply to this

AWESOME!!!!!!!!!  Thank you relache!  Hopefully marking all 18 as spam will now keep that person away :-)

2. paradigmsearch profile image88
    paradigmsearchposted 6 years ago

According to the IP address, your new best friend is from New Jersey. He probably was mistakenly typing into the wrong Windows pane.

I don't think it was a mistake because the other 2 (out of the 18) were made a week or two ago and were similar.  I had approved them without thinking about it and this morning I saw the 16 one-liners that were replies to each other.  So it was going back and forth about "i hate projects" - "i know me toooooo projects are boring bovb" - "yah i know im bored too h" - "haha projects are lame bovb" - "i agree (by c) - "ya i know - h not c"

That person specifically replied to whatever names he used to reply to each other, using names "bovb" "h" and "c" and indicated those in the replies.  But since none of them were approved, no one could just hop into the conversation.  The bovb name and h name were the two approved a week or two ago coz I didn't realize the IP address was the same until the conversation was pending this morning, each 1 minute apart in reply to the previous one.

I hope that makes a little more sense.

2. donotfear profile image90
      donotfearposted 6 years ago in reply to this

How in the world do you determine what IP address something is coming from? Amazing....

I was thinking that on my way to work too smile

3. Pcunix profile image89
    Pcunixposted 6 years ago

I suppose it could be two people behind one ip who have found an interesting way to bypass chat restrictions at their workplace.

But if you are set not to show comments until approved, it's probably just some flake trying to be funny or annoy you.

Yet - I am constantly reminded that raw stupidity is often sufficient explanation for just about any behavior.

If they're set on the same IP can they view each other's chat if not yet approved?  If so, that is interesting that they chose my hub of all hubs hehe. 

And I must agree with your last comment - especially with some of the shows on TV and websites dedicated to showing web clips of people doing exactly that!

2. paradigmsearch profile image88
      paradigmsearchposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Good post!

4. paradigmsearch profile image88
    paradigmsearchposted 6 years ago

IP address locater:

http://www.geobytes.com/

The free services are located right side, lower-middle.

You're too cool :-)  Thank you very much!!!

working