jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (10 posts)

Help with error messages on links

1. wilderness profile image95
    wildernessposted 6 years ago

I just published two new hubs, with a link in each connecting to the other (part 1 and part 2).  I get an error message on those links, but they work fine for me.  I inserted the links before either hub was published; could this be the cause and the error will go away?

2. Beth100 profile image84
    Beth100posted 6 years ago

This depends on where you are linking from.

The first can be done as a hypertext link.

The second is in a link capsule.

For either link to work, you must publish the article first.  The current address for the unpublished hub will "change" once you publish it.  The unpublished hub sits in a temporary slot until you press publish, so the address for it is not accessible by others.

Publish first, then go back and link into the hub.  BTW, the link may  not appear immediately after publishing, especially in the hyperlink box.  It takes any where between a minute and a few minutes before the server updates the info.

wildernessposted 6 years ago in reply to this

That's kind of my question - the links worked both before and after publishing, so I'm not sure why the error message.  They work, so why mess with it?  Or will they perhaps only work for me, the publisher?

I'm a real newbie at this, but think they are hypertext links - inside a text capsule with blue lettering that says nothing about the link itself.

3. Beth100 profile image84

They will appear for you only because you are the author.  For us, we will not see it because the hub is not published.  Publish first, then link.  If you give me the title of the hub, I'll check and see if the links work for me.

A Sun Room Makeover - Details of a Home Improvement Project Part 1

A Sun Room Makeover - Details of a Home Improvement Project Part 2

Both published

I sure appreciate your help!

4. Beth100 profile image84

Ok, I just checked out your two sunroom makeover ones, and both links work.  The third link for the phone works too.  smile

These are hypertext links.  In this case, when you choose the text link option, the screen that pops up will allow you to manually insert the url or choose the hub that you want to link to.  Under this is an "advanced options" button.  Click on this.  A new window will pop up.  In this window, it will provide options for:

a.  Opening the link in -- the same window, or a new window
    b.  Cool tip text box allowing you to insert the text that the reader can read when they mouse over the hypertext.  This is very useful to provide a few targeted words about the hub you are linking to. 

If you choose to link to another hubber's hubs, you can use the "link suggestion" button or you can manually insert a url that you have for that article. 

smile

Great!  Thanks so much, Beth, I can quite worrying.  I'll check out the advanced options, too - they both look useful.

2. wilderness profile image95

I used the advanced options you suggested - they're great.  And now the error messages are gone, too.  Thanks again.

5. Beth100 profile image84

Your welcome Wilderness!  And Welcome to HP!! 

I suggest instead of "here" you might want to use the title of the hub...helps imprint the info into the reader's memory. 

Also, try grouping your hubs...it helps as it will provide a bar near the "flag up/down" that allows the reader to push an arrow that leads to a hub within the same grouping without clicking on your profile to read more hubs.  Just an idea, but it certainly helps to get the reader to read more of your hubs.

smile  Hope I've helped.  smile

6. Beth100 profile image84

You're welcome.  smile

working