jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (10 posts)

HUBS - serials and sequels - Benefits or 'Flogging a Dead Horse'?

1. Rik Ravado profile image91
    Rik Ravadoposted 8 years ago

I figured that linking a series of hubs together might be beneficial and publishing them with a time delay - as each new hub is added it relaunches the earlier hubs.  In some ways a bit like movie sequels.

My experience has been somewhat mixed.  I produced a series called "The Beginner's Guide to Hubpage Writing".  The first one produced a flood of traffic and is my best earning Hub.  Unfortunately, although containing much more information, the second hub has so far only received about a third of the traffic of the first.  The traffic for the third is around 25% of the second.

The other attempt was literally a 'tongue in cheek' series: "Coffee! - A Romantic Serial" 
    It was originally published in a computer magazine.  I thought I had hit the jackpot but they only ran two episodes!

It didn't do much better on HubPages.The first episode did fine but only about a third of readers moved on to episode 2.  Of these only a third appeared to view episode 3.  This has so far managed a pathetic 21 views!  Making it my least successful Hub.  No one has yet requested Episode 4 (via comments).  That being said, I gather fiction never does well on platforms like HubPages.

What are the experience of other Hubbers with regards to linked Hubs - and has anyone else been crazy enough to write a serial?

2. Whitney05 profile image68
    Whitney05posted 8 years ago

I'm not sure about sequels. Although, I do have 2- Basic Obedience 1 & 2 and Agility 1, 2, & 3 (each with names that does not say part 1, part 2, etc), I've never really had decent traffic to tem to begin with. I guess the people who want to do agility with their dog, buy a book or go to a trainer with experience so to get hands on training. As for the obedience training, it's about the same.

I do have hubs all related to the same topic that do well. From what I understand Google follows interlinked hubs and give them additional value being in a series of a related topic. But, they have to be related.

Example. I have Caring for Hamsters, but I put links for my other 2 hamster hubs- Hamster Health and Hamsters With Wet Tail- and vice versa.

I do link the series, but I haven't really watched them, as they've never really given me as much traffic as I had hoped. I get ok traffic from them, though.

3. Rik Ravado profile image91

Whitney - Interesting what you say about Google favouring linked (connected) Hubs.

4. Dorsi profile image91
    Dorsiposted 8 years ago

I just put some of my hubs in groups 2 days ago, and I have to say it sure provided some nice consistency. It also helped me to see how my writing is shaping up , how many of my topics are actually related. We'll see how this goes, but really there is no way of tracking how well this works, huh?

1. jaymz profile image80
      jaymzposted 8 years ago in reply to this

You can track them in analytics.

1. Dorsi profile image91
        Dorsiposted 8 years ago in reply to this

Thanks, I'll put that on my growing list of "things to learn!"

5. Rik Ravado profile image91

Yes the group facility is quite useful to link Hubs.  Pity you can't add Hubs in more than one group though as Hubs often fall into more than one catagory.

6. Mark Knowles profile image62
    Mark Knowlesposted 8 years ago

Also - ask yourself why hubpages is encouraging people to write capstone hubs series big_smile

I found this tactic to work very well with my motorcycle hubs.

7. Rik Ravado profile image91

Thanks for the reminder about Capstone Hubs - I haven't got around to checking this out.  An opportunity to link together a number of Hubs and gain additional financial benefit.

8. SunSeven profile image61
    SunSevenposted 8 years ago

Sometimes it works smile