Problems editing all day long

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (16 posts)
  1. lewgard profile image60
    lewgardposted 15 years ago

Boy, it took me several hours to write one hub today.  The edit and save-edit functions have been a pain in my rump all day.  I can't figure out any particular pattern, just that a lot of times when I go to save an edit, the save doesn't work and my hub goes pale - cannot click anywhere.  This has happened to me many, many times today.

I think I need a rest from this for today...I'll try again tomorrow.

1. Marisa Wright profile image87
      Marisa Wrightposted 15 years agoin reply to this

This happens to me a lot, and has been happening ever since I joined HubPages.  Always when I'm using IE, whether at work (two different jobs, plus a brand new computer in between), or at home.  I recently started using Firefox at home now and havne't experienced the same problem yet. 

When it happens, I just quit the session and know there's no point in trying again for a few hours.

2. compu-smart profile image90
      compu-smartposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I too had a couple of problems just today. When i clicked on Edit at my hub, the page was just hanging!..Things are ok now for me!...

Hubpages has been tested with Firefox Internet Explorer 6+ and FireFox 1.5+. Other browsers do work but their development work is conducted using FireFox but does not currently support Safari.

When i have a problem, be-it hanging! stalling! uploading or downloading plug-ins (which is taking much longer than usual) or sometimes wont download ..These can mostly be fixed using another browser!! Sometimes, its the servers, internet providers, or a thousands of other potential possibilities and nothing to do with browser!!

I wrote a hub about browsers and how simply using another can solve a galaxy of problems your existing browser has....Here is the hub and tips and complete browser list.
      http://hubpages.com/hub/What-is-the-best-browser

You could also look at your PC delay problems as signs!!   A  sign telling you do other things that need doing in life!!  like i do! much less stressfull!

2. pauldeeds profile imageSTAFF
    pauldeedsposted 15 years ago

Has your internet connection been flaky for other sites today?  Are you on wireless?  If your connection is up and down,  that might cause the problems you're seeing.  I haven't noticed any pattern of site wide problems.

3. Sally's Trove profile image79
    Sally's Troveposted 15 years ago

I experience the same problem from time to time.  I use IE as well.  When the screen locks and goes pale, I click the IE back button, go make a pot of coffee, take out the trash, and come back to re-open the capsule for editing (yes, sometimes you just have to wait a while until whatever is wrong goes away). In every case, the content I was adding or changing was saved, even though the screen locked and went pale.  I have no wireless connection and no connectivity problems with any other site.

4. lewgard profile image60
    lewgardposted 15 years ago

Internet connection has been stable throughout the problems.  I think I'll give it a shot on Firefox and see how it reacts.

thanks for the ideas

5. Susan Ng profile image82
    Susan Ngposted 15 years ago

I've experienced that, too.  I've been using Firefox for a long time now and I don't have a wireless connection.  I just open another window or tab, go back to the page I was working on, and everything's back to normal.

6. profile image0
    excellasysposted 15 years ago

This seems to happen from time to time. I'm trying to isolate these wierd type of editing issues too..I'll stay tuned and see what you find out..  I wondering if it is somehow all related to how the browsers handle Java or Flash.   Not Sure. 

-e-

7. LdsNana-AskMormon profile image79
    LdsNana-AskMormonposted 15 years ago

Firefox, wireless and on a Mac:-)  I have these problems a lot.  Go figure?

I commited to never write a hub in a capsule.  Every once in a while I ignore what I know and I just start writing and saving, etc... 

Then I have to recommit never to do it that way again.  For some wierd reason, when I am writing and editing this way - things are not saved and a hub can get very confusing.  I will do a  cut from one capsule and move it to another - and then suddenly I find that it has not deleted from the original capsule and I have duplicate work in my hub.  Strange!

This can be really frustrating.  So - I go back to my rule of writing and editing my entire hub in my word processor first and then cut and paste it into my capsules exactly the way I want it to read.

Wish I did not need to worry about dysfunctional capsules!  LOL  But I still love HP:-)

tDMg
    LdsNana-AskMormon
    Kathryn

8. profile image0
    excellasysposted 15 years ago

I agree, I always write the hub in a editor offline first.. then cut and paste in. do minor edits then save.  Seems to be a working formula for now. 

-e-

1. moonbun profile image69
      moonbunposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I've not been using Hubpages long, but I've had editing problems since day one. That right there has saved me hours. Thanks.

9. ngureco profile image80
    ngurecoposted 15 years ago

Pauldeeds, you did not complete what wireless connection will do. Seriously though this problem seems to be common. And I think I should continue using wireless connection and IE.

10. Karen Ellis profile image59
    Karen Ellisposted 15 years ago

I'm so glad others were having problems today also.  I thought something was wrong with my computer.  I kept getting an error on my page every time I tried to edit.  And yes, I bet I spent three hours just trying to get my post on.  I even tried putting the post in "don't publish" and then went back to it, but no luck.  I deleted the post and now I have a delete on my board - ugly.  I finally did get the article posted.  But what a pain it was.  It was a lot of work for the four cents I earned today.  Is this really worth it?????

11. Bonnie Ramsey profile image68
    Bonnie Ramseyposted 15 years ago

This has happened to me many, many times. While it is frustrating, I just hit the refresh button and keep going. I never have this problem on any other site and  internet connection is fine. I guess it's something in HP so I just refresh and deal with it LOL.

Bonnie

1. Shirley Anderson profile image71
      Shirley Andersonposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I agree....hitting the refresh button always takes care of it for me, too.

12. rmr profile image68
    rmrposted 15 years ago

I have had the same issue using Firefox, IE, and aol. I just thought I was doing something wrong. Good to know it's not me.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)