jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (6 posts)

Posting content I did not author, but which I now own.??

1. DzyMsLizzy profile image89
    DzyMsLizzyposted 6 years ago

Before I post any of these other poems, I thought I'd better ask:

Is it ok to posthumously publish my mother's poetry?  She never published it anywhere--it is still in her hand-written notebooks.

As an only child and her obvious heir, I now "own" those works.  Is it permissible for me to publish her poems on Hub Pages? 

(I understand with the possible provision that I credit them to her name???)

1. 0
      Website Examinerposted 6 years ago in reply to this

There is nothing to prevent you from so doing. It is my understanding that the works are previously unpublished.

It is best that you credit the works to her as the author; as a matter of "droit morale" under international copyright law.

1. Cagsil profile image83
        Cagsilposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I'll agree that credit should be given it's due. smile

2. blue parrot profile image60
      blue parrotposted 6 years ago in reply to this

In theory the question is whether you are your mother's only heir. If there are other heirs they would have to give you permission to publish, because they, too, would be the owners of that poetry.

1. DzyMsLizzy profile image89
        DzyMsLizzyposted 6 years ago in reply to this

As I stated in my original post, I am an 'only child,' and therefore obviously the sole heir.

2. KCC Big Country profile image83
    KCC Big Countryposted 6 years ago

If it were me, I think I would publish them as a tribute piece.  As a reader, I would enjoy knowing something about your mother along with the poetry.  Simply giving her credit is respectful and the minimum you should do.  If she has quite a bit you'd like to publish, you could create a series of hubs either based around topics or periods of her life.  I think it would be a nice tribute to someone you loved and obviously admired her work.