jump to last post 1-12 of 12 discussions (15 posts)

Pay Attention When Using RedGage

1. sabrebIade profile image86
    sabrebIadeposted 6 years ago

I didn't know this, but when you post a link on RedGage, if you use a thumbnail, that thumbnail is saved in your pictures folder there.
    Why didn't I know it?
    Well that's my fault.
    I use RG for backlinks and don't pay a lot of attention to it usually.
    But today I got an e-mail from RG saying that...

"Your photos have been flagged as stolen content. If you do not remove these photos within 24 hours, the RG will have to remove your account. Due to the fact that money is involved, we have to take copyright issues very seriously."

I set about finding the picture folders and removing all the photos that I could.
    I think I got them all, but we're talking almost a years worth of links and pictures in less than 24 hours.
    (BTW...in a year, the pictures had made less than 3 bucks)
    Dealing with everything else I am dealing with, I don't have time for something like that to be sprung on me all at once so I did my best.

Anyway, I'm not complaining about myself, if they close my account I understand.
    But if you are posting links there, make sure if you use a thumbnail, it's a thumbnail from a picture that you took yourself.

Oh yeah, I wasn't linked to Flickr or Facebook photos, so the pictures had to get into the folder via links I posted.

2. Cagsil profile image84
    Cagsilposted 6 years ago

Thank you Sabre. I didn't know that either. smile

3. Beth100 profile image82
    Beth100posted 6 years ago

Thanks Sabre.  This is good to know.  I can change some of mine before there's too many.  smile

4. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 6 years ago

If I link to a hub that has photos, do the pics show up in the RG link ONLY if I choose the thumbnail option?

sabrebIadeposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I think so.
      I think that's what got me into trouble.
      I should have checked no thumbnail.

5. Michael Willis profile image78
    Michael Willisposted 6 years ago

I have only linked to pics on my hubs. Don't remember using the thumbnail. Thanks Sabre for the info!!!

6. Kangaroo_Jase profile image80
    Kangaroo_Jaseposted 6 years ago

When your posting your links in RG, you get a final option to choose a thumbnail link that gets displayed with the link.

For a safe option use a photo of yourself, or choose no thumbnail. That way there is no way one can be pinged for (potential) copyright issues.

Hope this helps.

sabrebIadeposted 6 years ago in reply to this

That seems to be the best and safest way to go.

7. agvulpes profile image88
    agvulpesposted 6 years ago

Actually I think the same rule would apply here at Hubpages as well. It is just not enforced to my knowledge. A copyright is a copyright, right?

1. Kangaroo_Jase profile image80
      Kangaroo_Jaseposted 6 years ago in reply to this

The same rule applies everywhere on the internet, if your using photos, assume they ALL have a copyright, almost all photos published somewhere on the net have an attributable license (this includes your own photos, as you are the copyright holder, hence you can do with it as you see fit).

Some hosted sites, like Flikr, will show an attribute about how a copyrighted photo may or may not be used by a non owner of the photo.

Most will show something like 'licensed under Creative Commons 3.0, you are free to use, amend, show and distribute for personal or other use'

Some will say, you can USE a photo, yet not for COMMERCIAL purposes.

It best to ask the author (if you can get in contact with them) tell them what you would like to do with their photo, most would be happy for their work to spread around the net, especially if you attribute BACK where you got it from.

It can get into murky waters, as just because it's on the net doesn't exactly mean, we can use other peoples work how we see fit.

8. cocopreme profile image90
    cocopremeposted 6 years ago

Thanks for pointing that out.  I usually only use pictures I took myself in my hubs, but I'll keep that in mind for the future.

9. susanlang profile image60
    susanlangposted 6 years ago

Sabreblade... I was thinking how helpful your heads-up is to so many people today. Very good tip.

10. AEvans profile image73
    AEvansposted 6 years ago

Thank you for letting us know. smile

11. Money Glitch profile image88
    Money Glitchposted 6 years ago

Thanks Sabreblade for letting us know. smile
    I really appreciate it because I don't check that e-mail account everyday. smile

12. alexhd57 profile image67
    alexhd57posted 6 years ago

Interesting, sounds like an unforeseen side effect of the way their system works. As an aside, I've actually had a reasonable amount of success earning on Redgage from photos imported from my modest Flickr photostream of less than 100 photos.