jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (10 posts)

An oddity

1. Pamela Kinnaird W profile image87
    Pamela Kinnaird Wposted 6 years ago

What's up with the people who join and then a few days later they 'follow' someone new every second.  I see it tonight and I saw it the other evening, too, where someone is somehow hitting new names to follow every second.  (Almost sixty names in a minute is showing up in their hubtivity.)

1. Polly C profile image88
      Polly Cposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I know, I have a few like that following me, one i just discovered a moment ago. I'm not sure if it is computer automated or not? Someone had a post on here a few days ago suggesting it was.

2. Origin profile image60
      Originposted 6 years ago in reply to this

It's an indirect way of getting a lot of traffic quickly as well as comments. Granted the traffic is coming from fellow hubbers usually, but still.

1. Polly C profile image88
        Polly Cposted 6 years ago in reply to this

But a lot of them don't even have any hubs. And who ever comments on such a profile? Personally I only read hubbers who have either left me a comment or left me some fan mail. Or someone I had a conversation with in the forum.

1. Origin profile image60
          Originposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Perhaps they had hubs which were flagged as spam or a spun article or something, yet the bot keeps on adding people. I'm not sure, I usually don't pay them much attention.

1. Glenn Raymond profile image60
            Glenn Raymondposted 6 years ago in reply to this

That is a lot.  I enjoy reading other's work, but I've never gone that far.  I am finding that it is far better to just visit on the forums, but I do still read others hubs now and then.  It is simply a matter of common courtesy for others, as well as learning from others.  This is a great conversation topic, by the way.

2. KCC Big Country profile image84
    KCC Big Countryposted 6 years ago

I think they assume it's a social networking site where having more followers means something more than it does.

1. Cagsil profile image60
      Cagsilposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Agreed!

2. wilderness profile image95
      wildernessposted 6 years ago in reply to this

That's the thought I've had.  I, too, have shown up with a couple of followers that have no hubs - I check who I'm following just to make sure they have'nt somehow subverted HP and now I'm following them (I'm programming illiterate and just assume such things are possible if unlikely)

3. jondav profile image65
    jondavposted 6 years ago

I've had a couple like that in the last few days - i just ignore it.

working