jump to last post 1-17 of 17 discussions (17 posts)

You Tube

1. RedElf profile image85
    RedElfposted 6 years ago

The videos I am using on my hubs are all displaying an error message, and refusing to play. It was only a few videos at first, but now it's all of them.

I have had only a few comments about the videos, so I am assuming that others are not having this problem.

I am running Windows 7, and I use the newest version of Firefox. Firefox updates Java automatically, and I have enabled pop-ups from YouTube. I even tried adding the workaround suggested in YouTube Help, but it won't stay attached. The Hub Pages video capsule "ignores" it. I can add it as many times as I like, but when I reopen the capsule the workaround is gone.

Does anyone have a way to fix it? Please tell me in small uncomplicated steps for the techno-challenged.

2. Ohma profile image81
    Ohmaposted 6 years ago

Sorry RedElf mine seem to be fine and I am not sure how to fix yours.

I had a look at this hub and the video is fine http://hubpages.com/hub/great-best-top- … in-Canada. may seem silly but have you tried cleaning out your browser and rebooting?

3. RedElf profile image85
    RedElfposted 6 years ago

Thanks, Ohma - anybody else? Paul? Maddie? Fawntia? heeeeeeeelp

4. Ohma profile image81
    Ohmaposted 6 years ago

Edited my post

5. RedElf profile image85
    RedElfposted 6 years ago

My browser is set to dump the cache when it closes, but I did it manually - no change, but thanks for the suggestion.

6. Cheeky Girl profile image84
    Cheeky Girlposted 6 years ago

Hy Redelf, this is only a mild suggestion, but are you ensuring that you are using the embed code and not the url, as I have sometimes found the embed is better on some browsers. I have found issues with older versions of Explorer, and some people might find similar.

Another tip. Try deleting the video, and save the hub in that form without the videos, then re-open it in edit mode and add the videos again, but one at a time, and test the closed finished hub each time for successful video playing. It might be a memory or hub size factor even. Best of luck!

7. RedElf profile image85
    RedElfposted 6 years ago

Thanks, but all that does is either show the same error message, or take me to YouTube. Thanks, but that doesn't seem to be the charm either

8. RedElf profile image85
    RedElfposted 6 years ago

I have never had this problem before. Even after I got the new laptop with Windows 7. This has just started in the last few weeks, maybe a month - at first, it was just on the new ones, but now all my video clips won't play on my hubs. At least, not for me. It is really irritating. I hope someone will have a fix for it.

9. RedElf profile image85
    RedElfposted 6 years ago

10. IzzyM profile image85
    IzzyMposted 6 years ago

I've just gone to one of your hubs http://hubpages.com/hub/How-To-Make-Per … Best-Gravy and the video is playing perfectly, so its a local issue on your computer I think. So long as it plays for viewers!

11. IzzyM profile image85
    IzzyMposted 6 years ago

I had a quick look on google for your problem and a lot of them are suggesting the latest version of Flash Player might help?

12. larryfreeman profile image83
    larryfreemanposted 6 years ago

Hi RedElf,

I tested out a few of your videos on my work system (Firefox on Linux) and all worked fine.

Have you tried the following:

* Load your hub from a browser other than Firefox.

* Do a shift+refresh (hold the shift down and click the refresh button)

* Reboot your machine (if the other two options don't work)

If none of these options work, let me know.

13. RedElf profile image85
    RedElfposted 6 years ago

Hi, Larry - thanks so much, nothing works. My browser ignores a shift-refresh, but even refreshing (F5) many times, dumping the cache, rebooting, resetting - nothing seems to help.

I downloaded Chrome, and the videos load fine in that browser, and boy is it fast. Too bad - I really like Firefox (I run Windows 7 - which is not so bad). Could it be a combination of Windows 7 and Firefox, or do you think it's just a Firefox issue - as I said earlier, the videos worked super-fine on my old laptop running Firefox on Windows XP - now after a couple of months with the new laptop, the video problems crop up - too strange.

Thanks so much, again - if you have any other suggestions (aside from a strongly worded letter to Mozilla)...?

14. RedElf profile image85
    RedElfposted 6 years ago

For anyone else with this issue, I have also uninstalled and reinstalled Flash using both an older version (didn't fix problem) and again with the latest version (didn't fix the problem). I have uninstalled and reinstalled Firefox, added youtube.com and ytimg.com to the pop-up exceptions list, cleared the cache, refreshed the page, re-booted the system - I have tried everything short of reinstalling my operating system.

I also started using Chrome (Google browser) WOW - it is SO fast...

I really love Mozilla and their notion of a free internet, but their browser won't let me a very basic thing - view videos on HubPages.

Larry, or anyone - if you have any other solutions, or words of wisdom (besides "switch browsers" - am almost ready to give up on 'zilla), I'd be happy to give them a shot...

15. larryfreeman profile image83

Hi RedElf,

Thanks for reporting back your results.  I think that this might be a good time for me to start using Windows 7 (I'm actually using XP at work and Windows Vista at home).  I'll set this up on my system so I can do more thorough testing.

My suspicion at this point has to do with your Firefox Add-Ons.  I would assume that one of them is causing your problem.  I would review the Add-Ons and try out disabling them.  It may be that one of them is causing your problem.

If you haven't done so, also verify that you have the latest version of Firefox.  It is possible that an update or reinstallation of Firefox may also fix your issue.

If I think of anything else, I'll let you know.

16. RedElf profile image85
    RedElfposted 6 years ago

Hi again, Larry

Good idea! Windows 7 is a much friendlier and less aggravating system than Vista, but I don't like the opacity, and am still learning to deal with its idiotic no-visible-File-tree system - and the dock thing is just silly and clunky - who needs it with the task bar and quick launch, I ask you?. They are trying so hard to look like Apple, and the Apple dock is a beautiful visual interface.

Most of the Windows 7 interface is really nifty, and generally nice and clean. The look is great - much cleaner, faster, and more reliable than Vista (hated Vista, liked XP - sturdy, reliable). I miss my file tree, though, and I don't like all the hiding of what's going on - that Microsoft "let me do that for you" attitude - a bit too big brother for my taste.

1. installed latest version of Firefox, disabled all add-ons, cleared cache: video did not play

2. refreshed page, enabled Java add-on, cleared cache again: Hallelujah! first video played...second video did not play

3. refreshed page, clicked clear cache: video did not play! Curses! Back to the drawing board.

4. repeated steps one and two above: video played ONCE! Second time it gave me the error message

It seems a bit extreme to me that I would have to reinstall Firefox every time I want to play a video on Hub Pages.

The videos play in Firefox on YouTube, but after I insert them into a Hub, the only way I have gotten a video to play is by reinstalling Firefox.

So far my only option would appear to be switching to Chrome (WON'T use IE - I am SO done with them!)

If you can think of anything else, I'll give it a shot, but so far nothing has been a viable solution

Thanks so much for your help, though. I really appreciate your time and assistance.

17. larryfreeman profile image83

Hi RedElf,

No, you shouldn't have to do any reboots or any clearing of the cache every time that you want to use HubPages.   smile

I'm only suggesting it as a way to figure out what's causing your problem.

By the way, what is the exact error message that you are seeing?