jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (18 posts)

Hub does not show date of posting.

1. Good Guy profile image94
    Good Guyposted 6 years ago

I usually like to know the date the hub was written.  Unfortunately there is none shown. 
    Wouldn't it be a good idea just to add this feature?

1. relache profile image87
      relacheposted 6 years ago in reply to this

You mean the feature that already exists in two different places?

The date a Hub was first published is shown on the main stats dashboard in the far right column, and can be viewed in that  individual Hub's stats, under the "Hub Metrics" tab.

2. ngureco profile image86
      ngurecoposted 6 years ago in reply to this

To the right of the hub, there is ‘read more hubs by this author’, click on that and you will get a comprehensive listing of all the hubs by that author, the number of comments each hub has received as well as when each hub was published.

2. Shadesbreath profile image90
    Shadesbreathposted 6 years ago

I've wondered that too.  But then I decided it's probably not that bad to not have the date because then your articles won't be, umm, dated.  lol. 

What I mean is that they won't look old or out of date. People might look at a product review you do in a year or two from now and think, "Bleh, this is too old of an article," and blow it off even though it might still be relevant. 

Just a thought.

(You can always go and check when the first comments were made if there are comments, that can help you age one if you want to know how old someone else's is.)

1. 0
      Nelle Hoxieposted 6 years ago in reply to this

That's actually one of the reasons I don't include a comments capsule anymore or show my accolades to the public. (As I review my older hubs I'm deleting the comments capsule, with or without comments.) It's amazing the number of busy bodies on HP who have nothing better to do than try to figure out when my hubs were written or how much traffic they are generating.

1. KCC Big Country profile image83
        KCC Big Countryposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I noticed someone the other day with no accolades, it may have even been you.  I wondered about that. 

I guess I'm at a loss in trying to figure out why the so-called busy bodies would care about those things, and then secondly, why it bothers you that they care.  Help me out on this one.

1. rebekahELLE profile image92
          rebekahELLEposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I really wondered the same when I read this earlier. why does it matter?

to OP, the date published can be found in stats. click on Hub Metrics.

3. Michael Willis profile image78
    Michael Willisposted 6 years ago

Go to "My Account" and at the far right side of the Hub you should see a posted date of your hub. (The time you published it) It is not posted on the actual hub that the public sees.

4. Good Guy profile image94

Relache and Michael Willis,

I mean the public could not view the date.

Thanks for pointing out, just the same.

1. Michael Willis profile image78
      Michael Willisposted 6 years ago in reply to this

You are welcome Good Guy. There are  some who want the published date on their hubs, That could be good as well as bad. Some may look for older hubs with info, but some, as I normally do, may look for more recent hubs for information.
      I don't know why HP does not post the publish date on our hubs, but a thought...you could list the publish date in your beginning text or at the end.

2. relache profile image87
      relacheposted 6 years ago in reply to this

1) why would that be anyone's business but mine?  (and as it was just pointed out, you actually can determine roughly how old a Hub is).

2) if you write evergreen content, it's really a moot point.

5. Arthur Fontes profile image91
    Arthur Fontesposted 6 years ago

You could always include a date into the text of your hub.  smile

6. Good Guy profile image94

Thanks for all your valuable comments.

I suppose I can always include the date when I write my hub.

I was just wondering why.  Maybe HP has got some reasons for this.  Just curious.

1. Marisa Wright profile image91
      Marisa Wrightposted 6 years ago in reply to this

It's because the most successful Hubs are on "evergreen" subjects and are intended to have a long life.

If a reader comes to one of my Hubs, I don't want them to know I originally wrote it two years ago - they might (erroneously) think it's out of date, and go looking for a more recent article.

So, having a date on your Hub might be an advantage for the first few months after it's published, to show it's fresh - but most of your paying traffic won't start arriving until your Hub is several months old, by which time a date could be a liability.

1. Good Guy profile image94
        Good Guyposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Marisa Wright,

I think you gave the most relevent answer.

Thank you

7. KCC Big Country profile image83
    KCC Big Countryposted 6 years ago

I'm sure I'm missing some bigger picture....but I haven't figured it out yet.

I had once asked about the date issue in my early days at HP and once it was pointed out to me about the credibility facture with your reader if the date seemed too old, it made sense to me.  I want my readers to feel all my hubs are current material.

8. Whitney05 profile image68
    Whitney05posted 6 years ago

I try to write evergreen topics which make the hubs good whether they were written two years ago or whether I plan to publish in two days. But, there are some that I like to put the month and year on. Like some of my reviews of hotels, malls, etc. because the facility may change and the review would have been written before the change.

For example, my palm pre review hub is very outdated. It was written within the first week of the phone's release, and many of my concerns of the phone have been corrected with various updates. I went back and added the date of the hub and the date of updates that corrected my complaint bc I started getting comments like, "my phone has a video feature, maybe it didn't come on the first phones." When in reality it was just an update that updated on all phones new and old. This isn't the most evergreen as it is updateable info, but it's an example.

If you want the date, just add it. Not all hubs need the date, especially as hubpages wants evergreen topics not topics that can easily be outdated in a day, week, or even month in the future.

Although, if you really think about it... It can be hard to get truly evergreen, as in many niches there will constantly be new research that updates the old, especially in human health and animal care advice. What's up-to-date now and evergreen on signs, treatment, etc, may not be the most up-to-date in 5 years. Even in regards to history; there are new discoveries all the time that would call for a hub to need to be revised occasionally. Anyway, sorry for the long post... I'm in a rambling mood apparently (should've seen my class assignments earlier this morning, as they were quite long).

9. Origin profile image61
    Originposted 6 years ago

I agree with everyone else concerning not having a date displayed. If this were a blog or something I could see the importance of having a date displayed, at least for certain topics.