jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (4 posts)

Duplicate Content on Book Review

1. 0
    Website Examinerposted 6 years ago

First and foremost, it may take some time for the duplicate warning to clear.

Second, the duplicate warning does not necessarily mean the hub violates copyright, so you do have the option to keep it published although the score may be lower;

Thirdly, you could create image files containing the quotes; this way, the quotes would not be read by search engines, and there should be no duplicate content issue. You can align these images to have them wrap around the text.

You are probably aware of where the limits go as far as quoting from the source, i.e. fair use.

1. moonvine profile image60
      moonvineposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Deleted

1. 0
        Website Examinerposted 6 years ago in reply to this

As you wish. I will be happy to provide instructions and a link to a free program in case you decide to pursue the image option.

2. 0
      Website Examinerposted 6 years ago

Sure thing. This freeware / open source program is a so-called "portable application," which means that you can use it without installing it on your computer. You download the file, extract it to any location on your computer (or even a USB stick).

It is pretty simple to use and configure. It works so that you can take screenshots either of the whole window, the visible part of the window, or a selection. Say you work in Word: Simply choose the take screenshot of selection option, then with your mouse you highlight (draw a frame around) the text you want to capture, and an image file will be generated for you. Then upload that image and insert it into your hub.

I have one hub, Writing Beautifully with Script Fonts, where I have used this software and technique extensively.

Feel free to ask any follow-up questions.

http://portableapps.com/apps/utilities/ … n_portable

1. moonvine profile image60
        moonvineposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Deleted

1. iantoPF profile image86
          iantoPFposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Hi! I just wanted to add a little something here. I wrote a Hub called "The notebooks of Lazarus Long" anyone familiar with the work of Robert heinlein would know who Lazarus Long is and the quotations from the books are very popular. So popular that even though the work was original, I also wrote about the author, I used so many quotes that it got flagged as duplicate content because others had been using these quotes for years and there was more than one website listing the quotations.
          I wrote Hubpages staff and they were very helpful. It was suggested that I add more original cantent to "Thin out" the quotations. I did this and in about 2 weeks the flag disappeared.
          Thank you website examiner. I found your Hub to be very useful and informative.

working