jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (9 posts)

Social bookmarking help

1. David 470 profile image87
    David 470posted 6 years ago

People always say about how to use social bookmarking for getting traffic. What I don't understand is when they use face book,twitter,myspace, and etc do they add random people ? Surely people on twitter don't know 1000s of people personally. I just never could understand this.

Please enlighten me on this.

Also, when you social bookmark is it just providing possible traffic from that site to your hubs specifically or are there backlinks when people search on google?

1. lrohner profile image84
      lrohnerposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I'm no expert in Twitter, but I do know that if you have a username that is pretty intuitive as to what you're about, people with like interests just manage to find you and follow. On my CTFoodie account, I think I've only tweeted twice in my whole life and yet I have around 500 followers.

1. lxxy profile image60
        lxxyposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Ahh, I have to agree. I get a bunch of random people who follow me. Also, there's always #FollowFridays to expand your network. wink

2. 0
    Website Examinerposted 6 years ago

You can post your links to the sites as such, within specific topics, without having to share with anyone individually. There are even IMautomators that will let you submit your booksmarks without signing up to any social bookmarking sites.

The links can both provide traffic and help with search engine ranking.

3. lxxy profile image60
    lxxyposted 6 years ago

Agreed with what Website Examiner has to say. Also, look at Digg, StumbleUpon, etc. The more ways you have out there to connect with your audience, the more audience you can have.

It's just up to you to decide where your strengths lie. Good luck! smile

4. TerryGl profile image61
    TerryGlposted 6 years ago

I am of the view that many people use social bookmarking all the wrong way to such a degree that their efforts are useless. Let me explain..

We all do the same thing. We write a post or hubpage and social bookmark every where we can (duplicate content?). Now don't you think the search engines will see a pattern or a huge footprint possibly marking you as a spammer or trying to manipulate linkings, thus giving your links a lower score or worse still, ignoring them.

The idea is social bookmarking. The main word here is social. The idea is that you bookmark your page once and only once. You then go and bookmark other like minded urls. Being social you go about getting friends or followers making subscriptions etc. Repeat this process every day.

It is these relationships that you build that leak page rank, link juice or whatever you want to call it to your profile. When this is done the power from those relationships will dribble down into your own bookmarked urls providing the most benefit under your profile.

An example is having a youtube chanel. Each time you comment on some other yuotube users channel, there is a nice little do follow link back to your profile. Sometimes the PR can be well above 6 or 7 on some others channels. Now, that link juice will go through to your youtube profile, thus giving your channel on youtube a high pr and hence your own url's in your profile higher pr as well.

Its all about thinking outside the square, doing something no one else is doing that will bring in better results from your efforts.

1. lxxy profile image60

Wikipedia doesn't allow linking to HubPages (which, in all honesty, I understand why, no offense. wink ) but I'm not sure I can agree with you there.

I know a lot of people (like my girl, k@ri, for example) who interacts with other Hubbers or posts her stuff around different places a lot less than I do...yet, she remains at a constant higher hubscore and traffic pattern.

Granted, I have many "good" articles spread through out my three pen names, but overall she just sits and does nothing.

I work a lil harder, and achieve about the same results. It's all in who you appear to be, and what you're writing.

1. TerryGl profile image61
        TerryGlposted 6 years ago in reply to this

That is true but there is a work around with this. If you have a wiki account you are allowed to edit wiki's. Usually in the reference section you can add an external link.

The idea is to write a blog post or article and reference that from the wiki. In your post or article you have your link to the hubpage, hence, a wiki followed link.

The trick is to make the edit stick and pass the moderators. Once you work in with wiki, usually your edits will stick but if you mess this up, the edit will be deleted.

I have many links from wiki and they all show up on the search engines.

Once again, think outside the square.

1. lxxy profile image60

Thanks for the tip. I always think outside the square--just not in the same fashion, or time frame, than many people I know. smile