Hubpages Anxiety

Jump to Last Post 1-19 of 19 discussions (28 posts)
  1. Moonmaiden profile image68
    Moonmaidenposted 15 years ago

When this site first started I really enjoyed writing here. It was like family and laid-back and unencumbered in many ways. Now it's all high tech and glossy and professional. I haven't written a new hub in a while because I'm wondering if Hubpages has outgrown me. Now it seems all slick and full of gurus and money making high rollers. Did I get left behind? Am I even good enough to write for Hubpages anymore? Or am I just going through a rough patch?
    Do others of you feel this or am I just out in left field?

2. Mark Knowles profile image57
    Mark Knowlesposted 15 years ago

I think you are going through a rough patch. Although, in the short time I have been here, I have seen a marked increase in the "money making high-rollers."

In England, we have an expression that covers a lot of them. "All mouth, no trousers."

It is still a family, but you have some new in-laws. big_smile

1. Marisa Wright profile image85
      Marisa Wrightposted 15 years agoin reply to this

The Scottish equivalent being, "all fur coat and no knickers".

On second thoughts maybe I shouldn't mention that, it might get Mark hot and bothered.

Keep writing Moonmaiden, I enjoy your Hubs!

1. darkside profile image62
        darksideposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I've heard "all fart and no sh-" you can guess the rest.

1. Patty Inglish, MS profile image90
          Patty Inglish, MSposted 15 years agoin reply to this

My Texas friends say "All hat and no cattle" - man, that's REALLY a fake. smile lol

2. Shirley Anderson profile image70
        Shirley Andersonposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I have never heard either of these expressions before.  I assume they mean, 'all talk and no action'?

3. funride profile image69
    funrideposted 15 years ago

lol Oh Mark, you´re so right! Our "daughters" got married with all this marketeers big_smile.

Moonmaiden, I believe hubpages continue to be a great family/community where everybody is welcome to share knowledge and ideas. Like in every family sometimes we need to go away for a while in order to realize how much we love them wink. Take a vacation and come back to write some more fantastic hubs like you have done in the past. I´ll be looking forward to read them!

In the meanwhile you can always fight that anxiety going to a walk in the park and forgetting all those things that has been tormenting you lately.

Have fun!

1. Moonmaiden profile image68
      Moonmaidenposted 15 years agoin reply to this

You are right. Life has been tormenting me lately.

1. Dorsi profile image87
        Dorsiposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I don't know you but I can relate to what you are feeling. I see you've been here quite awhile! Although a relative newcomer, I was attracted here for the community and the ability to write and create my own articles. Very cool. Sometimes I look at my hubs and think wow there are other people here that are writing on much more comprehensive topics, and I get a little overwhelmed trying to compare myself. But I have to stop and remember that we all have a unique contribution, like my pastor says "we all have a story to tell". I think we are blessed to have been given writing skills to tell those stories when so many people either don't have the gift or the inclination to do so. And I think we sometimes go through those dry patches. I'm an artist too and I tried to do some creative stuff on illustrator earlier today and it just wasn't there- so I put it aside, knowing it will come back to me when the time is right!

4. LdsNana-AskMormon profile image78
    LdsNana-AskMormonposted 15 years ago

Moodmaiden -

I hear ya and understand what you are saying here...

We all gravitate to that which is most like us, or easy to be with...  I tend to hang with those who like to hang and make new friends.  (really, look at how I write?  is there a place for me?  LOL)

Let those who are here to roll some high numbers hang out with each other... etc.

Like all communities,  there will be many gatherings, thus creating a place for everyone:-)

Hubpages is just that, a HUB with many hubs for all to gather! 

There is a place for every hubber, but each hubber must speak up and find those who tend to enjoy the same type or similar conversations to themselves... thus they make friends here on the hub and feel a part of the total Hubpages.

But hey, this is just my brief opinion about this place we all call - The Hub:-)

tDMg
    LdsNana-AskMormon

P.S.  Saying that...  I have really come to enjoy learning from so many that are very different from myself and this is what is totally cool about HP.

5. ZEV profile image75
    ZEVposted 15 years ago

I did have the impression when I first came here that I probably wouldn't make the cut as a contributor. Hubpages does look professional and the information first class. But once I got reading the forums and other's hubs I saw that it was a community of caring, colorful, and sometimes out spoken characters. I just figured that if my contributions were honest and written to the best of my ability then I was good to go until someone told me otherwise. Keep on writing, I'm sure you have lots more great ideas to share.

6. darkside profile image62
    darksideposted 15 years ago

Where is this high tech gloss and slickness that you speak of? smile

7. Moonmaiden profile image68

Thanks everyone.
    Darkside, when I joined it was just about the writing and photos we took ourselves. Now it's all about RSS feeds, Video links, commercial photography and so on. I feel like my writing gets lost in all that. I liken it to me trying to sell matches on the Las Vegas strip in my little match girl outfit..

1. Patty Inglish, MS profile image90
      Patty Inglish, MSposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I agree with Darkside!

Moonmaiden - Even matches on the Las Vegas strip will last longer than a cheap 3-second lightbulb. That's what some of those that briefly blow through Hub Pages amount to.

I think that intelligent readers can determine who knows what they are writing about and who only thinks they know.

You know. smile

2. desert blondie profile image56
      desert blondieposted 15 years agoin reply to this

As a newcomer myself here to hubpages, I kind of get what you mean. An acquaintance told me I could write here...have fun writing and maybe make a couple of dollars as well. But a lot of times, I look around at hubs and they seem to be cut-and-paste and selling something via their hubs. BUT, I also feel like I've gotten response and feedback from readers who really want to enjoy a sense of sincerity, humor, honesty in the writing. So, your fans want you and your writing for what it is. "Keep on keepin' on" to use a phrase that's getting more antiquated by the second!

8. darkside profile image62
    darksideposted 15 years ago

The world needs more Moonmaiden's. To keep the place real. And grounded.

As soon as something good becomes popular there'll always be those that want to use it for making a quick buck.

They don't last as long. Though there is a turnover of such people, so unfortunately we'll never be rid of them, they'll just keep blowing in and out.

9. jimmythejock profile image83
    jimmythejockposted 15 years ago

Moon Maiden, I urge you to keep writing, I personally love your hubs and I have missed you alot this past couple of months, you kept me going through a rough patch and now it is my turn to repay the favor, you are an artist,an entertainer and you are a great writer, you will bounce back with a vengeance and when you do all of us guys will be there to support you all the way, no matter what you write you will always have at least one reader, I read and re read all of your work and I always look forward to seeing your name appear in my inbox telling me that you have published a new hub.
    take care and please keep on hubbing.....jimmy

10. Moonmaiden profile image68

You guys are cracking me up. My friend calls it "Arrogance without cause." Which isn't nearly as funny as the knickers comment.
    I guess I will just wait out this rough spot and hopefully I can get back to writing again soon.
    Jimmy you are gonna make me blush with all your compliments. I somehow thought people would be bothered when my 'New hub by..." hit their email box.
    I joined Twitter yesterday. So maybe I will write a hub on my experiences there, but there are already a bunch of hubs on Twitter so I don't know. I find that when I really want to write, I write a Hub, and when I just have a few things to say I blog and when I just want to blurt something out I use Twitter. I think that covers all the bases.

11. SweetiePie profile image81
    SweetiePieposted 15 years ago

I enjoy reading about a diversity of topics here on hubpages and everyone should feel free to write about topics that bring them joy.  Justin Hayward, one of my favorite musicians, has often said there is no such thing as a song that is better than another song, but that each song is different an has its unique qualities.  I think the same is true for hubpages and each person has particular strengths that shine through in his or her hubs.  Spend time writing about topics you enjoy, and you may even find you are teaching people something new, or maybe even opening their eyes to another point of view.

12. Lifebydesign profile image63
    Lifebydesignposted 15 years ago

Hey Moonmaiden, Being relatively new myself I can't see the changes as much as everyone else but I think we empathize. I also think we get what we look for - I've found both ends of the spectrum; pure spammers, and those who just want to share life experiences. I kinda get what I need when I need it here!  I've also found some real gurus ... you all know who you are :-)

13. rmr profile image68
    rmrposted 15 years ago

I'm still learning the ropes here, but it seems like a group of friendly people to me. I just write what I like, and if people decide to read it, so much the better. I like the "arrogance without a cause" thing. I call it pronoia, which is the belief, despite all evidence to the contrary, that everybody loves you.

14. Moonmaiden profile image68

I am so glad that people I haven't met yet are sharing their heartfelt feelings in this thread. It warms my heart and even if I never write another word, I still win because I met you all.

1. ripplemaker profile image78
      ripplemakerposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I love that spirit..Indeed moonmaiden, in the end you still win because you found love and comfort and there are people who actually care and take time to reassure you that all is well.  To a new dose of perpective, friendships and more hubs from you! smile

15. profile image0
    Zarm Nefilinposted 15 years ago

Usually in cajun country we expressed this notion by saying "He is all talk".

16. thayes1106 profile image58
    thayes1106posted 15 years ago

I think it would probably do me some good to talk to others who have my problems. What do you think?

17. relache profile image73
    relacheposted 15 years ago

I just keep writing about the stuff I want to write about when I feel like writing it.  Although I think there is more spam/crap/fluff being written on HubPages, my personal experience and what I'm getting out of it keeps moving in the direction I want, so I focus on that.

And I flag and thumb's down a lot of crap hubs.

18. Marian Swift profile image60
    Marian Swiftposted 15 years ago

Hi, Moonmaiden!

I haven't been here very long, but I've seen swarms of spammers come through.  Sometimes they seem overwhelming, but the HP community does an impressive job of either teaching them manners (and some do learn!), or flagging them until they go away.

Based on that, I suspect a large proportion of us are here for the writing.

I've started reading your Hubs.  Great stuff!

19. waiting4u profile image41
    waiting4uposted 15 years ago

We all have to make a living one way or another in this economy. That's why HP has to evolved, I guess.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)