jump to last post 1-15 of 15 discussions (25 posts)

If you knew you only had a year to live, what would you do?

1. Violet Flame profile image85
    Violet Flameposted 6 years ago

Let's say you were tipped off from "higher authorities" that you've only got a year of earthly life left. You are fit and healthy but unfortunately, time is running out. What would you choose to accomplish in this precious time remaining after taken care of all personal affairs? All your resources remain the same as your present day, so make it as real as possible.

1. 0
      boppsterposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I would sell my house and buy a nice RV and travel to all the places I'd like to see in the US.

2. 0
      Brenda Durhamposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I wouldn't underestimate the power of prayer to THE "Higher Power"....

So, like Hezekiah, I would turn my face to the wall and cry;  and ask my God for another 15 years.

Whatever comes after that depends on His answer.....

2. Cagsil profile image83
    Cagsilposted 6 years ago

I would find the courage to end my life immediately.

1. Marisa Wright profile image93
      Marisa Wrightposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Goodness, why, Cagsil?

2. alternate poet profile image76
      alternate poetposted 6 years ago in reply to this

That is cowardice not courage.

1. Cagsil profile image83
        Cagsilposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I am answering yours before answering Marissa for a reason. I find your words to be foolish. Cowardice?

How is it cowardice? It takes an over abundance of courage to take one's own life.

A coward wouldn't be able to take their own life. I think you're confused.

@Marissa, there would be no since in living the remain days. The mental torture is not worth the time or energy. It's best, that when I received the news that I would most certainly die and heard it from a "higher authority"(meaning someone spoke it in my head and it wasn't me), then by all means, I would then probably find it more invigorating to meet the person/entity or whatever spoke in my head, so living would mean nothing, so end it.

1. Marisa Wright profile image93
          Marisa Wrightposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Actually that's a good answer.  Because if you did receive word from a "higher authority", that would be proof there was such a Being, so you might as well get to Heaven as soon as possible.

And, what would make you think I would go to heaven? lol lol

3. joaniemb profile image61
    joaniembposted 6 years ago

Spend quality time with my family. Make a video for my 5 wonderful grandkids so they would know how much I love them and remember me in years to come.

4. SomewayOuttaHere profile image60
    SomewayOuttaHereposted 6 years ago

...same response to if i had 1 month to live...

5. PrettyPanther profile image88
    PrettyPantherposted 6 years ago

Sell all of my material items.  Find the most beautiful, peaceful place on earth (to me), and live there.  But, only if my family came with me, and I am sure they would.  smile

6. Greek One profile image80
    Greek Oneposted 6 years ago

take out a HUGE loan... with a due date of 13 months

1. mrpopo profile image87
      mrpopoposted 6 years ago in reply to this

7. Rafini profile image82
    Rafiniposted 6 years ago

i'd finish writing my book.  then, take a vacation with my kids. smile

8. itech profile image58
    itechposted 6 years ago

I was in such condition from last few years and still living normally with lots of courage to do something big..... Don't be fooled by others, make fool yourself..... Becoz "ALL IS Well"

I've also created a simple page for this : "All Is Well" wink,

9. ceciliabeltran profile image84
    ceciliabeltranposted 6 years ago

do exactly the same thing but with less hesitation.

10. Violet Flame profile image85
    Violet Flameposted 6 years ago

Sometimes I really like to chew through this hypothetical scenario "what if I only had a year to live", it helps me putting things in perspective ie. what's important and what's not. I think it is the height of arrogance or ignorance to carry on everyday like it will last forever and squander the best part of my life NOT doing anything that MATTERS.

Recently I have come down with this sense of "Urgency" to birth forth my potential when I still have time, when it is still not too late. I don't want to die with all my potential unborn, unspent, unmanifested. I don't understand this great sense of urgency but it really kicks start the action!

I refuses to live a life "just to survive", do a job to just so I could have food on the table and roof over my head. I quit my job as an international airline flight attendant to become a therapeutic massage therapist because it makes me happy to help people feel better. At my spare time I write and paint, paint and paint.

If I only had a year to live, I want to paint and bring out the magical worlds inside my imagination, depict the amazing spectrum of inspiration to the best of my ability. I want to make them available to the world audience, to help inspire a richer inner and outer world of creativity and co-creation.

Living is not mere surviving.
    If I were a fire cracker, I don't want to last forever just to exist indefinitely.
    I want to be ignited.

then death will be a happy ending,
    a "mission complete!"

don't you think?

11. donotfear profile image90
    donotfearposted 6 years ago

How do I know I've even got a year anyway? 

We don't know.

Tomorrow isn't guaranteed for anyone. A lot of unknown can possibly happen. Then again, there also is a possibility tomorrow comes without any issue whatsoever.

1. donotfear profile image90
        donotfearposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Yep....so I try to make every day count. But on the negative days when I spew doo-doo from my heart, I always pay dearly for it.  But really, if I knew the clock was ticking I think I'd get on the ball even more.  I'd definitley write my memoirs.

12. mymagicview profile image52
    mymagicviewposted 6 years ago

I would publish my literature, as soon as possible, for leaving my footprints in this world. And then I would try to enjoy each and every moment of my life.

13. Rochelle Frank profile image90
    Rochelle Frankposted 6 years ago

You never know how much time you have.
    Do what you really think you should be doing now.
    Spend time with those you love now.
    Enjoy life now.
    Make a difference for good right now.
    Do something kind that no one else knows about.
    Appreciate something.
    Stop playing stupid video games.
    Write now.
    Right now.

14. 0
    ralwusposted 6 years ago

I would not change a thing. I have been under that sword for some time now and just don't worry about it anymore.

15. MissE profile image80
    MissEposted 6 years ago

I would climb a mountain.  Why?  Because they scare the heck out of me.  I would climb one to say, "There I did it, and I'm still alive." Then, if I fell off and died(which is my reason of mountain phobia) I was gonna die anyway...right?