jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (6 posts)

Completely random topics appearing in related questions field on hubs?

1. Alison Graham profile image94
    Alison Grahamposted 6 years ago

I have found that on a hub about Trade Exhibitions and Exhibition stands, the related questions filed has "what do you do to stop yourself laughing at inappropriate moments" and "how to write a standup comedy routine" similar, inappropriate items are in my other two hubs on a similar subject in Business and jobs, marketing and sales category. 

Why is this happening?  Help!

As an aside, the Hub about Pop Up Displays was appearing high up google rankings when first published and although I have been promoting it by backlinking, it is now on page 13 and I don't know why!

1. Marisa Wright profile image93
      Marisa Wrightposted 6 years ago in reply to this

You could review your tags and make sure they're all directly relevant to your subject.  If you've got some that are a bit vague, or could be interpreted in other ways, your Hubs will attract some strange related Hubs and related questions.

However, I wish they'd get rid of the related questions section altogether.  The quality of questions is rubbish - it's possible part of the reason is because the questioner has put their question in the wrong category.

1. Alison Graham profile image94
        Alison Grahamposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Hi Marisa, I have reviewed my tags, the only thing that could be misinterpreted is the Exhibitions, Exhibiting ones (as far as I can see) but why that should throw up a question about jelly beans is quite beyond me! 

I do not have your experience so it is probably inappropriate for me to comment but I do think that as the 'suggest links' tab was included in hubs to help everyone make the HubPages experience better, more meaningful and relevant, these random questions appearing on a hub would appear to fly in the face of this.

2. skyfire profile image71
    skyfireposted 6 years ago
  3. Alison Graham profile image94
    Alison Grahamposted 6 years ago

Thank you, I have just read the posts on that thread.  My thoughts are that as the titles of these questions appear as important keywords in our hubpage and are totally unrelated to the main content.  This may be seen as spam by google and it may harm our pages' rankings in the search engines.  We are all trying to comply with writing good quality hubs and only including relevant keywords but having these totally irrelevant, off-topic keywords on our pages cannot be doing our credibility with the google search engines any good at all.  I would be interested to know what the hubpages team think of this point?

1. Marisa Wright profile image93
      Marisa Wrightposted 6 years ago in reply to this

One or two mentions of a word aren't going to make any difference to a whole Hub.  I find it annoying because I don't think it looks professional to a real visitor, but I'm not at all worried from a Google perspective.

working