jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (6 posts)

Commenters name is an anchor text link - should I leave it or delete?

1. Alison Graham profile image93
    Alison Grahamposted 6 years ago

Hi, now that I am learning a little more about links and linking, I have been checking my commenters (non hubpage members only) who have left a comment which is a backlink to their site but which shows as text.

(If you don't know how to check, right click on the name and scroll down to properties.  It will then tell you if it is just a name or a link to another URL.)

I have deleted one as the comment was not really appropriate to the content.

What is the view of other hubbers about whether to leave them on?

1. Marisa Wright profile image93
      Marisa Wrightposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Alison, as long as the site isn't something you object to, and the comment is relevant, I would accept the comment.

After all, we Hubbers do the same thing automatically - our name on our comments is a link back to our profile.  It's a form of self-promotion and one everyone uses.

For instance, you should be promoting your Hubs by finding blogs on the same subject and leaving meaningful comments. Of course, you wouldn't do anything so crass as to leave a direct link to your Hub in your comment - but you will usually be asked to enter your website name.  When your comment appears, your name becomes a link to your website.

So it's a case of "do as you would be done by" - you want to use that facility on other people's blogs, so it's only fair you allow it on your blogs or Hubs.

However, you will see people who leave silly comments just to get the link - and those, you can just delete.

2. ilmdamaily profile image91
    ilmdamailyposted 6 years ago

Don't see a problem - as long as their comments are at least vaguely realted to the topic of the hub!

3. Peter Hoggan profile image86
    Peter Hogganposted 6 years ago

Links from hub comments are nofollow, so the only comments you need to be concerned about are those that aren’t relevant.

1. Alison Graham profile image93
      Alison Grahamposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Thank you very much for clarifying that Peter, ilmdamaily, the one I deleted was not really relevant and thanks Marisa - I hadn't really thought about our own name being a link, but of course it is and I have found other hubbers work by clicking on their name.  Thanks for the tip about forums too.

4. thisisoli profile image72
    thisisoliposted 6 years ago

I tend to delete comments which are not relevant, and also comments which are just 'good article' or similar, basically jsut fishing for my traffic.

Remember that a percentage of traffic which flows through every link you place is lost cash from clciks and sales smile