jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (11 posts)

How honest are you?

1. 0
    selrachposted 6 years ago

I was recently overpaid £2,600 wages by a company I worked for.
    I was very tempted to keep stum and take the chance they never found out,but I did the honest thing and told them what would you have done?
    The majority of people I have told said they would have kept it.

1. Pearldiver profile image86
      Pearldiverposted 6 years ago

Good On You mate... I would have done the same!

I recently heard of a guy who retired last year and was overpaid $97,000.00 in redundancy payout.. but skipped the country... sad

2. flounderingsahm profile image74
      flounderingsahmposted 6 years ago

I would have done the same as you.  If not, it would be considered stealing from your own company and you could lose your job because of it.  Second, once they found the mistake (and if you had direct deposit) they could just take it back!

3. joaniemb profile image60
      joaniembposted 6 years ago

I would have told them too. It would have been tempting and I would have thought the same as you, maybe keep it. In the end I would have given it back. You know they would eventually catch up with it.

Good job smile

1. 0
        selrachposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I know I did the right thing but now I am unemployed the money would have been handy.smile
        But hey I,ve done enough bad things in my life without adding theft to the list.

1. WryLilt profile image87
          WryLiltposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I would have liked to keep the money... however I have this really OCD consciousness streak in me.

I can still remember stealing a gold button in the shape of a watering can from Lincraft when I was 8 years old.

4. timorous profile image91
      timorousposted 6 years ago

There's always the temptation to take advantage of mistakes.  But it's good to have a conscience that stops you, knowing that someone could take advantage of you under similar circumstances.

While it shouldn't have any bearing on the situation, it also depends on the quality of the relationship between you and the company, person etc.

Any more than a few dollars, pounds or such should be acknowledged.  These discrepancies have a way of catching up with you sooner or later.

5. Richieb799 profile image66
      Richieb799posted 6 years ago

What did you mean by keep 'some', only give some of it back?
      Was it 2,600 too much?

1. 0
        selrachposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I said keep stum not some

6. Greek One profile image79
      Greek Oneposted 6 years ago

I would tell you, but I would be lying

7. Shil1978 profile image88
      Shil1978posted 6 years ago

I am too honest for my own good most times. You did the right thing though. I would have done the same!