jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (10 posts)

How can we broaden the categories?

1. sriparna profile image87
    sriparnaposted 6 years ago

Is there a way to add some categories or sub categories, because the categories and sub categories already provided are not sufficient and in keeping with the vast range of topics one can write on? Do we have that option already? Whenever I think of a new topic, categorizing seems less than perfect at times.

1. Marisa Wright profile image92
      Marisa Wrightposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Often you'll see people posting on the forums asking for other Hubbers' suggestions on which category to put a Hub in.  There are an awful lot of categories, often it's just hard to find the one you need.

2. Whitney05 profile image67
    Whitney05posted 6 years ago

Just post in the forums if there is a subcategory that you need. Like Marisa said, in a lot of cases, there will be a category already available that you haven't seen. I've posted suggestions for new subcategories, but found that others knew where the category was. In other cases though, the team will add the category if there isn't one already there.

As you come to subcategories that you need but can't find. Post a suggestion for it to be added.

3. Richieb799 profile image67
    Richieb799posted 6 years ago

I suppose its not bad to have too many categories instead of not enough smile

4. sriparna profile image87

Thanks Marisa and Whitney05,
    OK I'll do that, I'll ask to add the category or subcategory in the forums when I cannot find the appropriate one.

5. thisisoli profile image72
    thisisoliposted 6 years ago

I have never had any trouble with a lack of categories, infact sometimes I worry there are simply too many categories which fill niche areas. This can make it less likely to receive traffic and reduce incoming link value.

6. relache profile image88
    relacheposted 6 years ago

I find it interesting that you asked this question because you've only written seven Hubs, and there are plenty of categories under which each of them can be classified

7. prettydarkhorse profile image64
    prettydarkhorseposted 6 years ago

A case in point is for example world cuisine and you want to write about Argentine cuisine, the only available country in the choice under South America is Brazil, so you just classify your hub under the umbrella South America, and not go specific anymore. Is it ok to inform and write the HP staff to let them know.

1. thisisoli profile image72
      thisisoliposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Yes you could, however if you are only writing one particular Hub I don't think I would personally bother.

The only reason i would request it is if you think that people would be specifically looking for Argentinian food, which is in itself a strong possibility (I know we had an argentinian restraunt in my old city!)

8. sriparna profile image87

Thank you very much thisisoli, relache and prettydarkhorse for your inputs.
    @ thisisoli: I have no clue about the fact that too many categories might hinder incoming link, I have to understand so much!
    @ relache: Yeah only seven hubs, I still need to figure out things around hubpages, sorry if the question seemed silly.
    @prettydarkhorse: Thanks so much for making an effort to explain in detail, it really helped.