jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (6 posts)

illegal photos?

1. 0
    Baileybearposted 6 years ago

I notice a lot of hubs have professional looking photos - can be of actors etc.  Some have a copyright name on them.  I thought hubbers had to own the image or acknowledge if took off "free" site?

1. DenverPhotography profile image60
      DenverPhotographyposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I don't know about the specific hubs you are thinking about, and I prefer not to out anyone, myself.  But you can get free stock photography, and often times it is pretty high quality. 

Here is a good hub that lists a whole bunch of sites where you can find free images to put on your hub.   Btw I did not write the hub.  I just found it useful myself.

2. WryLilt profile image87
      WryLiltposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Legally you should put a note of where you got the photograph or who the photographer is, as well as ask the photographer if you can use it.

Works in theory. But there are literally billions of photos and pictures out there on the internet and no specific agency that has the time or manpower to track down and slap the cuffs on people for breach of copyright.

However, you should try your best to acknowledge. And think how you'd feel if someone copied and pasted one of your articles and claimed it as their own.

2. thisisoli profile image71
    thisisoliposted 6 years ago

Legally you cannot use or alter a picture without permission.

This permission can either be in the form of a written email giving you permission to use the image, or it can be permission via one of the various licenses which grant anyone free use of the image.

To be honest though most of the time I google or use one of the 'free use' image directories, and just choose an image I like.  If I get a complaint I would have no problem in taking down the image.

3. DonnaCSmith profile image84
    DonnaCSmithposted 6 years ago

I wrote a hub on this subject. It gets harder and harder to protect ones work from copyright infringement.

4. SteveoMc profile image91
    SteveoMcposted 6 years ago

You should carefully resist using photos that are not licensed to be used.   There are lots of photos that are free to be used.   Flikr has a creative commons license that makes is possible to use photos.  Other services can be used where you can buy photos at very low cost to be used and free photos which do not require attribution.   I use photos primarily from services that do not require attribution and the license permits the use in anything but stand alone applications.   
    It would be fool hardy to use photos for commercial purposes that you do not have a license to use.