jump to last post 1-11 of 11 discussions (19 posts)

Suggestion Notify "commentors" when the Hubber responds to the comment

1. BennyTheWriter profile image89
    BennyTheWriterposted 6 years ago

Sometimes I leave comments on blogs and never return to see if the writer responded to me, simply because I forget.  There should be an option for people who leave comments to be emailed (or if they're fellow Hubbers, sent a private message) when the writer of the Hub responds to them. 

This way, they'll be reminded to come back to the hub, especially if they thought it was interesting but simply forgot to check for responses. 

I believe in the value that comments add to hubs, so I think  it would be great if this feature were implemented.  Thanks a lot!

1. thisisoli profile image72
      thisisoliposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Yeah I would like to see some kind of feature notifying me of responses to my comments too!

2. Lifeallstar1 profile image61
      Lifeallstar1posted 6 years ago in reply to this

Places like Newsvine has an overall alert me button, so if someone responds at all to that hub you commented on, you can go back to look to see what was said. It's a nice feature because with a lot of hubs, it's interesting to read what others have said and if they have the same views and things. Plus if they responded to you. That's how the discussions really starts up. It makes for a lot of activity. It's actually a lot of fun too. It shows a number like 3 new comments. Then after you read them it goes back to zero and you have the option of stopping the alert to the hub. Pretty cool and fun. The comments go on for a long time on some of them.

2. relache profile image87
    relacheposted 6 years ago

How would the system know it was your comment that was receiving a response?  What if another comment was left on that Hub before the author replied to yours? 

Since replies can't even be tied to specific comments yet, how is some sort of alert system supposed to work?

1. BennyTheWriter profile image89
      BennyTheWriterposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Well I'm suggesting that responses should be tied to specific comments.

3. 0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 6 years ago

So I post a comment, and for forever every time the owner makes a comment to that hub, I get notified? Please make sure there's an option to shut this off.

That can get seriously annoying if you've commented on a bunch of hubs over several years.

1. Lifeallstar1 profile image61

You can choose to set up the alert for the overall article you commented on (or not) and if you choose that, you can turn it off at any time.

4. Michael Willis profile image76
    Michael Willisposted 6 years ago

It would be nice to know when your comment was read, but as Relache pointed out...it would be very difficult to know who the author was responding to.
    There is a section on the My Account page where you can check the comments you have made. I will occasionally check  this area if I feel a comment I made to a hub would benefit from a repeat read or if I would like to respond to the author's response to my comment.

5. thisisoli profile image72
    thisisoliposted 6 years ago

Most sites give the option for all future comments on a thread you post on to send you an email notification.

This could possibly get annoying, however it would be possible to add a check box on the comments box which meant you chould ask for comment notifications only on the hubs you were particularly interested in keeping a discussion on.

1. Lifeallstar1 profile image61

You don't have to have it emailed though. It can just be on your home page with a number of new comments. So you only know about it when you sign in. You can delete the alert too so you don't have to bother. You don't even need to sign up to have the alerts. At least there are options.

6. Aficionada profile image93
    Aficionadaposted 6 years ago

I have used Michael Willis' suggestion.  Periodically, I just scan through the list of my comments and see if there are any I want to check back on.  I think that it could become almost overwhelming to be notified about every comment that comes onto a Hub where you've left one of your own.

1. thisisoli profile image72
      thisisoliposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Thats why a checkbox on individual hubs can help cut out the comments which you don't want to be informed of. leave it empty unless you want to check it to receive the updates.

Low waste, high yield.

7. Len Cannon profile image88
    Len Cannonposted 6 years ago

I would imagine the original post refers to a "reply" tag for comments like we have here on the forums.  An outsider could put their e-mail address in to be notified when someone else has replied.

Or hey, just encourage them to sign up...

8. climberjames profile image61
    climberjamesposted 6 years ago

This would be a great idea!

9. jondav profile image66
    jondavposted 6 years ago

I agree, great idea. I often forget to check.

10. Pcunix profile image90
    Pcunixposted 6 years ago

Yuppers.  I do check, but I'd rather have it in my  Hubtivity or email.

1. WryLilt profile image88
      WryLiltposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Wish there was something like twitter - @theposter.

11. Maddie Ruud profile image82
    Maddie Ruudposted 6 years ago

You can always go to the Comments You Made page (under the "my account" tab) and easily see where you've recently commented, if you're interested in following the discussion.  The feed is also a great way to keep up with that sort of activity.

We do not have any plans to "thread" comments the way the forums are threaded, linking responses to certain posts before them.  That would require entirely different technology than we now employ for comments boxes.

1. Marisa Wright profile image92
      Marisa Wrightposted 6 years ago in reply to this

That would be great, if it worked.  Time and again, I've found that the comment count is completely inaccurate - I'll see a comment made in the last 4 hours, go and check the Hub and there's nothing since my own comment 3 days previously.

I suspect that's because it's counting comments when they're made, and they may be held for moderation - which is understandable, but it just makes using the tool profoundly irritating.