jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (8 posts)

Help with RSS?

1. Lily Rose profile image83
    Lily Roseposted 6 years ago

Okay, I only recently started using an RSS capsule in my hubs to list "my latest hubs" instead of using a links capsule which was way too time consuming, but that's about the extent of my RSS knowledge...

I'm wondering, is there a way to make the RSS feed more specific, like to list my hubs that fall under a certain category or group, like "toys" or "home decor"?

1. waynet profile image49
      waynetposted 6 years ago in reply to this

The way that I do it is to use a tag rss feed from a tag that I know I have a hubpage that or a collection of hubpages that dominate that tag and so that my hubpages show up prominently in the feed....

So if you have a keyword tag that you know is on most of your hubpages and you are featured mostly on the first page of the RSS feed results then it may be worthwhile doing it that way....

Unless there is another way, but I'm tired and knackered and can't think straight at the moment.....zzzzzzz!

Lily Roseposted 6 years ago in reply to this

That's basically what edwierdo's hub explains, except he suggests creating your own unique tag that the tag rss will pick up...cool stuff!

1. Cagsil profile image59
          Cagsilposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Hey Lily Rose,

I am not sure if I can help, but I thought I would give it a shot.

You want to make an RSS feed of your hubs only. Then you would have to use a "unique" keyword, so as to weed out everything else in the feed. The RSS feed contains all(every) hub written on HubPages.

Therefore, you would have to have one specific "keyword/tag", so as to only pull your hubs.

the line: hxxp : //hubpages.com/tag/keyword/latest?rss or hot?rss or best?rss as three choices of feeds.

I hoped that helped. smile

Yes, Cags, that helps - that's pretty much what edwierdo's hub explains to do, but he goes on to say in it that there's some glitch in a major piece of software that's not creating new pages for tags, so this technique isn't working well until that glitch is corrected...he last updated that info earlier this month...

Thanks for piping in!  This is all new and great information.  Input!  Input!  I like it!

1. Cagsil profile image59
              Cagsilposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Hey Lily,

I put RSS feeds on all of my hubs. Each pulls based on tags, so I can have related stuff on each hub from other writers.

I put feeds on my Celebrity hubs that are specifically tied to the Celebrity of that Hub.

Some of the feeds on my Life hubs- I used "character-trait" as the keyword, or "social-issues" as the keyword. Depending on what Hubs I wanted to pull from the feed.

I do not see a glitch in the execution. The problem is when your keyword is more than two words, then the "-" or "hyphen" is required, otherwise the feed will not work.

2. ilmdamaily profile image91
    ilmdamailyposted 6 years ago

Edwierdo wrote a good hub on RSS with category tags...

http://hubpages.com/hub/Promote-Your-Ol … -RSS-Feeds

I'm just getting the hang of it too...RSS feeds seem to present some crazy opportunities for backlinks!

Wow, that's a great hub with some great new lessons!  Too bad HP has a bug that's preventing his technique from working properly!  Thanks for the info!

working