jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (8 posts)

Are news article comments good for links?

1. Bill Manning profile image70
    Bill Manningposted 6 years ago

I notice that many big online newspapers and news sites let you put your url in your comments. At least your name is linking to your url.

Are those good places for backlinks? I assume it can't hurt right?

1. IzzyM profile image84
      IzzyMposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I've no idea, but it can't hurt.

2. 0
    Go Writerposted 6 years ago

If the topic is related to your niche, then it's a plus. News sites carry a lot of authority.

However, you've got to be certain that the comment section is dofollow, otherwise it's a pointless effort.

There's a free Firefox plugin called "NoDoFollow" that you can download.

Once you activate it, right click (if you have a PC) and select NoDoFollow. If you have Mac, hold down control and click the mouse, then select NoDoFollow.

You will notice that there will be links on your page that are highlighted purple and pink.

Purple = Dofollow.

Pink = Nofollow.

To unhighlight everything, simply go through the same processes to unselect "NoDoFollow".

1. Bill Manning profile image70
      Bill Manningposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Thanks, I'll look into that plugin. Normally I just look at the page source, but that can be confusing if it's a big page. smile

2. Winsome profile image92
      Winsomeposted 6 years ago in reply to this

You Go Writer! What a helpful suggestion. I am a little confused about the need for having comments as DoFollow by using a plugin called NoDoFollow. If I write a comment in the LA Times, for example and include my url, how do I know if it is "DoFollow?"
      Forgive my ignorance in linking. =smile

1. Len Cannon profile image91
        Len Cannonposted 6 years ago in reply to this

YOU don't. They do.  There's nothing you can do about it.

3. gracenotes profile image92
    gracenotesposted 6 years ago

Eek.  I've been experimenting with this a little.  Tried an out-of-state newspaper, as well as my two local ones.

At times, it seems your ability to freely post links or URL's anchored to a name is "not as advertised." 

Not only that, but I saw a comment someone made with a direct link to his web site, and when I tried the same thing, it stripped the html out once it was posted.  What does that user know that I don't?  mad

4. thisisoli profile image73
    thisisoliposted 6 years ago

Some sites use specific tags for URLs, some sites sutoamtically parse links. Try out different methods till you find something that works.

I use SEO quake for link checking, but I have to admit I have got some great back links off news sites.

When it coems ot some of these sites I don't even care if they are no-follow or not, some of tehm get huge amounts of traffic, enough to make a no follow link worth while.