Does my new hub need a video?

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (21 posts)
  1. Aiden Roberts profile image69
    Aiden Robertsposted 13 years ago

Hi Everyone,
    I have just published my latest puppy training hub and I am wondering should I use a video? I haven't used videos before as I am not sure of the rules for example with YouTube?

If you don't mind and have some time take a look and see if you think a video would be useful, any comments about the overall layout is much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

http://hubpages.com/hub/Puppy-Training-Recall

1. Marisa Wright profile image87
      Marisa Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

A video is always useful!  Even if it doesn't add much useful information, it keeps the reader on your page longer, which will please Google.  Plus you get a free backlink on Youtube. 

I know there's some debate about copyright on Youtube, but that's only a concern where people have posted pirated excerpts of movies or TV shows.

Avoid those, and you'll have no problems at all - but if you're worried, just post a comment on Youtube letting the clip owner know you've used it. 

I've also found I've had no problems with posting Youtube excerpts of DVD's, if I'm selling the DVD in the Hub.  After all, you're doing the author of the DVD a favor.

2. profile image0
    Website Examinerposted 13 years ago

I like it the way it is. Images are in themselves very descriptive, and you have the advertisements lined up naturally, so it is hard to see where you would want to put a video.

Maybe video would be better suited for a step-to-step tutorial with several embedded videos, fewer images. Then it could add some value and authority to your article, besides merely being entertaining.

Aiden Robertsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Website Examiner

I wasn't sure, I think it flows but thought people might like to see the topic in action.

Really appreciate your comments

Thanks Again

3. Marisa Wright profile image87
    Marisa Wrightposted 13 years ago

A couple more quick comments -

It's always best to start your Hub with a text capsule, long enough to allow the first Adsense ad to appear in the top right hand corner.  That's the prime position for ads and the most likely to get clicks.

That means, don't start your Hub with a photo, and put your first photo capsule next to your second text capsule, never the first.

Two - you have a lot of outbound links in your first paragraph.  I feel that's a bad idea, because you're tempting your reader to click away from your Hub before they've had a chance to get interested in it. 

It might be an idea for you to make contact with Whitney05 and cooperate on interlinking your Hubs in a structured, cooperative way which could benefit you both.

1. Bill Manning profile image68
      Bill Manningposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Ah ha! I knew I was doing something wrong with having pictures to the right at the top. I wondered why I never got that block of ads there, now I know.

Start off with text long enough to make that block of ads appear to the right. Then put pictures below it. I think I'll go and redo some of my hubs, I take lots of my own pictures and use them. Thanks! smile

2. Aiden Roberts profile image69

Thank you Marisa, I really do appreciate the time you have taken.

On the point of crosslinking with other hubbers, can you elaborate for me please. I use the linking tool, am I supposed to get permission from hub owners to link to thier hub or are you thinking of somethin a bit more professional?

Thanks again

1. profile image0
        Website Examinerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Alden, I will think of your original hub with some nostalgia, now that the very knowledgeable hubbers have weighed in and persuaded you to change it.

Cross-linking would imply that the hubber whom you have linked to also links to you, which usually doesn't happen by itself. So you may want to contact one person who shares your interests, as opposed to using the automated suggestions.

WE, I haven't suggested Aiden changes any of his text - just move the photo down a bit, remove some links and add a video.

And LRohner has only suggested a snappier introduction, as far as I can see - which is a fair point.

I'm not sure why you think those few things would ruin anything?

1. profile image0
            Website Examinerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Marisa, I think your suggestions (and those of others) are appropriate and never meant to suggest that they will ruin anything at all. I described the rest of you as "very knowledgeable," and have no doubt that he will benefit from following your persuasive advice.

I liked the original version, cannot help it, my personal feeling was all I was trying to convey. It won't hurt the OP to understand that different people perceive things so differently. In fact, that is one of the good things about this forum.

Wow, I love hubpages.

I take on board all comments and really appreciate them. I think it is briiliant that I get to see all points of view and suggestions in an instant.

As a new hubber all of your advice is very useful, it certainly helps me speed up the learning process and avoid mistakes that I would probably make without you.

Thank you all so much

2. Marisa Wright profile image87

Oops, sorry, thought I detected a sarcastic edge to the comment.  Must have been having a touchy day yesterday!

Hi Marisa
                No sarcasm here just grateful. Posted another hub tonight and tried to incorporate some of your suggestions, problem was I was backwards and forwards to this thread to remind myself of what was said. At least my new hub got a video
                Thanks again

2. Marisa Wright profile image87

No, you don't need to get permission.  If you link to someone's Hub, you are giving them a valuable backlink - which will bring them more traffic, so no one is going to complain about that!

If you take a look at the discussions when the link suggestion tool was launched, you'll see there are two schools of thought about it.

One school of thought says that having outgoing links to good quality websites or Hubs is a good thing - Google, and readers, thinks it's a sign that you've done your research. And for HubPages as a whole site, lots of interlinking between Hubs is good and keeps people on the site longer - so indirectly that benefits all of us.

But the other school of thought says that every outgoing link is competing with your ads - if you send someone to Whitney's Hub, for instance, they may stay there and click on her ads instead of yours! 

Darkside and Sunforged, two Hubbers whose opinions I really respect, think that way.  Unless they're writing a Hub especially to help other Hubbers, the only links they'll ever have in their text are links that will earn them money - either to their own website/blog or via an affiliate link. 

I follow their example.  I do sometimes include outgoing links on my Hubs, but only as a RSS feed (e.g. "More Hubs about ....") or a Links capsule (e.g. "References" or "Further Reading"), right at the end of my Hub below the comments.  If a reader gets that far, it's too late for them to click on my ads anyway!

As Whitney and you both write about dogs, I was just thinking an alternative strategy, if you want to interlink, is to cooperate with each other.

Now that makes a lot of sense, I will have to decide which side of the fence I am on. I understand now what you man't by contacting Whitney.

Thanks so much again

4. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 13 years ago

I think a video would be nice. especially since people going to your hub are looking for information on how to train a puppy, seeing it in action is helpful. you could place it next to either of the two capsules with no pic or ads next to it, or at the end of your last text capsule.

I think the layout looks great. the ads are still in view with the small puppy pic. I have hubs that get clicks with photos at the top, sometimes it helps to draw them in. I usually mix up my layouts to see what works best. I've seen plenty of quality hubs with pics in that spot. you can check out the first 10 hubs in the Hubs category and they're all different.

I would double check your links. a few of them are going to the same puppy training hub. Your first word being a link isn't really necessary. if you want them to see a larger pic of the pup, you can check that option in the photo capsule, click to enlarge. BTW, it's a great article! smile

I'm not saying you won't get clicks if you don't allow that top right-hand ad - I'm just saying, all the gurus here say you'll get more clicks that way.  I certainly found it made a difference when I changed mine around.

I understand and will have a go later at changing it, thanks again for your advice.

2. Aiden Roberts profile image69

I agree, I did get a bit carried away with the links, changed them now.
      Great advice; thank you.

5. lrohner profile image69
    lrohnerposted 13 years ago

Aidan--You really are doing a great job. Seriously. You can write and you know what grammar is. But I still have the same advice I had on your curry hub.

The first several paragraphs (while well written) aren't that useful or interesting. You don't really tell me anything until midway through the hub. You mention a whistle at the beginning, but don't tell me what to do with it. (Although I'm sure you're thinking of several things I can do with it right about now....) smile

Remember--you need to grab the reader in the first sentence or two or its over. I really think if you can learn to nail the intro, you're golden.

And yes. In this case a video showing people what to do would be very, very useful.

Great advice, comments taken on board and I will go back and edit.
      The whistle and where to put it!!!!!! Lol.
      Thanks again

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)