jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (7 posts)

Promoting your hubs: How to choose?

1. WryLilt profile image87
    WryLiltposted 6 years ago

Just wondering how all the other hubbers choose which hubs to promote.

Do you:
    1. Promote the least viewed ones (that you believe are good quality) in hopes of getting google to notice all the backlinks and suddenly rank you higher?
    2. Keep promoting the hubs that are doing well so they can do even better?
    3. Promote at random - depends if you find a good backlinking site that is on topic for one or more of your hubs.

1. Marisa Wright profile image92
      Marisa Wrightposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I don't promote my Hubs much at all.  If I did, I would concentrate on the ones that are doing best.

If a Hub doesn't get some search engine traffic all by itself in the first three or four months, I've probably chosen poor keywords, or there's lots of competition, or there's something else wrong with the Hub.  Promoting it isn't going to make much difference.

2. Ultimate Hubber profile image81
    Ultimate Hubberposted 6 years ago

I promote hubs that I think are well written and have a better chance of ranking in SERPs.

3. thranax profile image58
    thranaxposted 6 years ago

I  promote every hub at first, just a little. I mean hell, a tree cant grow without watering the seed. From then on I promote a Hub each day (haha try to that is).

4. CrashDummyMan profile image61
    CrashDummyManposted 6 years ago

I promote my hubs all at first for a little...I point an Ezine and links from a few other sources at them.  Then I sit and let them wait.  After a few months you can see which ones are the winners and which are the losers and then I start building more links to them.

In the meantime I build more hubs and websites so that I've always got more money sites aging online.

5. Hovalis profile image86
    Hovalisposted 6 years ago

I've just started promoting some of my older hubs which are earning me a bit, hoping to shore up their rankings a bit. Every new hub I do gets promoted first at shetoldme, and then via another site which automatically does the backlinking for me. That gives them around an extra 45 backlinks, most of which are set up to dribble in over 135 days, so that they don't all show up straight away.

I just spent over a week getting all the hubs on one of my accounts backlinked at both places and vowed I wasn't going to do that again soon! So from now on as soon as they are published they are backlinked, or set up for automatic backlinking.

6. Pcunix profile image89
    Pcunixposted 6 years ago

I link to hubs when it makes sense to.

That is, if I'm writing an article about X but need to mention a little bit about Y and Y is something that a reader might reasonably want to know more about and I have a good post about it, I'll put in the link.

It's always a judgement call.  If you have a far better post about Y and I know about it, I'll probably link to you instead.  If it's six of one and half a dozen of the other, I'll choose my post.

However, in all fairness I'm in a little different situation than many.  My writing is for the purpose of attracting attention to other things I sell, consulting services being the primary one.  If I'm not writing about something related to that, I'm doing it just for fun and don't really care whether anyone reads it.  If it happens to add a few cents to my income, great, if not, I don't care.

Therefore, my concern is primarily for the reader when it comes to making links.  I will make a direct link to something I sell if the opportunity presents itself in a natural and unforced way, but most of the time I want what I link to to add value for the reader.

If you are writing strictly for the sake of the ads, your goals in linking will be very different.  You may still care about the reader, but the goal is to get them somewhere where you can make money - that's my goal, too, of course, but the link opportunities we'll be looking for will be different.  You might be very adverse to sending traffic in my direction because it can't help you; I can send you traffic because it can  help me.

Focusing on your goals helps make decisions easier.