jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (5 posts)

2 sites for SEO value, or supercharging a single website?

1. Origin profile image60
    Originposted 6 years ago

I'm debating about what I should do, one of my future projects can be split into 2 websites, which would link to each other, or I could just use a subdomain (ie, subdomain.domainname.com) for the other part.

I'm debating on if it would be more worth my while to create 2 websites which link to each other for an SEO boost, or just concentrate on a single website and put more information on it, which could give me additional backlinks (people linking to both parts).

1. Peter Hoggan profile image86
      Peter Hogganposted 6 years ago in reply to this

It’s a tricky question, optimizing two sites is harder work but if you feel that you can make two sites that effectively target different customers or market niches then it makes sense. IMO diluting content just for the sake of linking between two sites isn’t a good enough reason to create a second site.

1. Origin profile image60
        Originposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Good point, I've been debating it still. A more updated website would probably rank better, and if I concentrate on a single website and just use the subdomain route, It would be updated more frequently because it's not split into two websites.

1. Peter Hoggan profile image86
          Peter Hogganposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Subdomains don’t make much sense these days, Google's host crowding filter now treats subdomains as a single domain, even if you host them on separate IP's. In short this means that subdomains are going to be seen as the same website, so trying to get multiple search engine results for a single term just won’t happen. The host crowding filter will kick in and limit you to two results across all your subdomains.

So it really comes back to creating unique sites that target different markets rather than related keyphrases within the same market.

2. TerryGl profile image61
    TerryGlposted 6 years ago

This is a good question and fortunately for me one I had asked myself earlier and did the research on it.

The result was that the domain url would contain the one targeted keyword and each sub domain would target the variations of the keyword enabling you to target inurl keywords.

Admittedly this does work well with autoblogs (which I am into) but the concept for a targeted main domain with original written content would return rewards.

As to the linking the domain, I did read that if you had one domain with subdomains, then you link to another domain with subdomains that is hosted on another site (that's just about linking, link wheel type scenarios). I have not seen anything about interlinking sites on the same domain though and would be very interested on other's thoughts.

That scenario to me would be just interlinking internal pages of the main domain. However, by having the main domain with sub domains is a section often talked about for building an authority site and that site is reflected and rewarded in the search engines.