I want to get this posting stuff straight.

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (21 posts)
  1. BarcelonaGuy profile image59
    BarcelonaGuyposted 13 years ago

I just joined Hub and before I begin to use it I need to know something.

Can I write a unique recipe or HOW TO  article and place it on a paint specific forum AS WELL AS Hubpages  or is that what you consider duplicate copy?   

The recipe is mine, the words are mine, everything is written exclusively  by me BUT submitted to more than one Hubpage like site.  Is that cool? 

Can I include a link to MY OWN WEBSITE? 

thanks in advance for any suggestions

Barcelonaguy

1. Maddie Ruud profile image72
      Maddie Ruudposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Welcome!

You can post something on HubPages that you've posted elsewhere, but it will have a lower score, and you will not be allowed any links on it.  You may only have a link back to your own site from a hub if it is content unique to this site.

2. Shadesbreath profile image78
    Shadesbreathposted 13 years ago

"Duplicate content" is if you just have all the same stuff.  Like, if you wrote up your recipe and how it works, what its strengths and applications are, etc. somewhere else, and then just copy that article over here, then yes, that's duplicate.

If you write a unique article that discusses your recipe for hubpages but you are just posting the ingredients for it as the same but with the rest original, I imagine you'll probably be alright.  The ratio of "article" to recipe text will probably be the deciding factor on that.

And I think if you have one link to your website it will probably be fine, but that again depends on the article you write (how long it is, quality etc.)

Hope this helps.

3. BarcelonaGuy profile image59

OH boy,  it seems I already got two different answers to the same question.   My understanding so far is that any unique How To recipe I write  IS duplicate copy if I post it in my own blog or similar forum somewhere else.

Ok,  so what is the use of Hubpages then.   Who uses this and for what?   

Are people writing unique content with no kind of benefit?

hmmmmm

1. psycheskinner profile image83
      psycheskinnerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Both answers said that what you suggest would be duplicate content, and it would be.

The benefit of posting on hubpages is that people read the hubs, and you earn money from them.

2. Marisa Wright profile image87
      Marisa Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I use HubPages to write original articles that earn money in their own right, and also promote my websites.

Marketing your website by publishing articles on article sites is a well-established way of promoting your site,that's why it was suggested to you.

Plus, HubPages has a high profile so it's a very effective way of advertising your business direct - your Hubs will more than likely get far more traffic than your website does.

On HubPages, you have the bonus that you can make good money on the articles themselves, while getting a good backlink to your site at the same time.  But they do need to be original, not published elsewhere, to get the full benefit.

And you shouldn't be giving away your recipes on forums etc. if you want people to come to your blog for them.  You're defeating your own purpose.

4. waynet profile image69
    waynetposted 13 years ago

Oh there are benefits!

5. Shadesbreath profile image78
    Shadesbreathposted 13 years ago

Maddie's answer and mine aren't in conflict.

If you do just paste it identical to what it is on the other site, then, like Maddie says, you just won't get to have a link and your score will be lower.

If you do as I suggest, and write a different article, just five hundred words or so to explain what your invention does etc., then you can have a live link. 

The "use" of hubpages is that you can have a SECOND source online that informs people about your recipe. And one that is on a highly visible platform that gives you pretty fast access to Google front page if you do your keyword research before you write your article.  Plus, a live link is a back link to your website, so, for the time it takes to dash off 500 or so words to describe what you made, I'd say it's well worth the effort.

6. BarcelonaGuy profile image59

I see,  huh,  I'm not selling anything and my recipes would be no more that 300 words or so but they are unique.

My purpose with Hub is of course to obtain some google recognition for my local website.  I'm a artisan in San Diego and don't want to dedicate a whole lot of time changing the copy of my blog posts each time I make a Hub submission. 

I'm beginning to think that Hubpages is not really the ideal venue I should use. 

BTW, can I expect to be spammed like this from now on?

Hi BarcelonaGuy,

jennshealthstore has left you some fan mail:

Welcome to HubPages!

1. IzzyM profile image87
      IzzyMposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That's not spamming. She has fanned you which is a nice thing to do.

2. psycheskinner profile image83
      psycheskinnerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Your purpose for the hub (getting a back link) is not the purpose of Hub Pages (getting Adsense clicks).  Purely promotional hubs, whether duplicate or not, are against Hubpages TOS.

1. IzzyM profile image87
        IzzyMposted 13 years agoin reply to this

While that's true, if he writes a 500 word or so article promoting what he does - writing about what he knows best - and adding a backlnk to his site that is perfectly acceptable.
        In fact it sounds like good business practice. I would do it if I had a product or a talent to sell.

7. profile image0
    Website Examinerposted 13 years ago

BarcelonaGuy, you got a warm welcome: Maddie Rudd is a busy administrator, it is extremely rare for her to take time to answer such questions. Shadesbreath is one of the best creative writers on the site. Jennshealthstore is not a spammer, but a respected member, who probably read this thread and felt sympathy for you.

8. BarcelonaGuy profile image59

Ohhhhh,  ok,  sorry Maddie.   I was afraid I might expect to see a hundred such e-mails daily. 

So to recap. the whole is Hub really for me issue.

If I write a unique HOW TO recipe/instructions on my blog and submit it "as is" to other forums specific to what I do,  I would have to REWRITE, the entire recipe somehow, in order to submit it on HUB without getting getting "penalized" or having Google kill me. 
        Doing so would actually hurt my SEO pursuit?

Hey maybe you folks could recommend an alternative. 

I came to Hub because an SEO "expert" suggested I use it. 

hey nothing ventured ...

9. IzzyM profile image87
    IzzyMposted 13 years ago

How hard is it to rewrite a recipe?
    Ingredients, change the order of the list or something. Rewrite the method. "Boil a pan of water" is the same as "put a pan of water on to boil", but you won't get penalised because the sentence structure is different, even though it uses the same keywords if your keywords were "pan" and "water".
    Add a link back to your site.
    This is a PR 5 site; it must carry some weight!

BarcelonaGuyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Whoaa  is that all I would have to do??     Well jeeze Izzy,  I can do that and still keep the article/recipe  interesting.   I thought it would have to be an ENTIRE  rewrite,  every single sentence. 

You're a sweetheart.  My recipes are for decorative and faux  finishes so yes they are very unique and can be explained in several ways. 

I can then place my website address in the article , in case people want to visit my site and  see more of my sample boards. RIGHT? 

gee I feel better already

10. Uninvited Writer profile image80
    Uninvited Writerposted 13 years ago

Hubpages is not the best place to write if all you want to do it draw attention to your own website.

Oh yeah,    tell me more,  I'm just a small self proprietor business,  Just me, and I only do business in SoCal.   I don't sell anything. 

I have a nice website and blog going on but want to increase traffic via the HOW TO's I can offer. 
         europeanpaintandtextures.com 

What are your suggestions,  and thanks man.

1. Uninvited Writer profile image80
        Uninvited Writerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'm just telling it like it is.

HubPages will give you more if you concentrate on writing articles that offer information to the visitor. You will be penalized if every hub you write links to your own website.

Using social networking sites would be what you are looking for, this is not such a site.

sounds like you're probably right.

How do I get terminate my account?   I've looked but can't find that.

1. Uninvited Writer profile image80
            Uninvited Writerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Send an email to team@hubpages.com

But, you could publish one hub that links to your site. It may get you some hits.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)