jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (9 posts)

2 Column With RSS Capsule Not Formatting Properly

1. Angela Harris profile image76
    Angela Harrisposted 9 years ago

I have made a few hubs lately that are two columns with one column being an RSS capsule. I had no problems with this format until about a week ago. Now whenever I try to do this, it leaves a huge ugly gap of white space and places the capsules below the RSS capsule instead of beside it. It looks fine in the preview, but terrible after it is published. Anyone else?

2. Maddie Ruud profile image84
    Maddie Ruudposted 9 years ago

Hi Angela:

Can you give me a link to a hub in which this is a problem, so I can take a look?

1. Angela Harris profile image76
      Angela Harrisposted 9 years ago in reply to this

Sorry, Maddie, for the delayed response. Here is an example:
      http://hubpages.com/hub/What-Is-Gout-Ca … t-Symptoms

3. Inspirepub profile image86
    Inspirepubposted 9 years ago

Angela,

I recognise this! It started happening with the last Yieldbuilder tweak.

This is your classic "double width Google ad" problem.

A double-width ad is inserted at the bottom of the items floated in the first capsule. The second text capsule is pushed waaaaaaaaay down the page to below the ad.

The only workaround at this point is to make sure the text in the first capsule is longer than the items you have floated right in it.

It is a pain in the butt, and if you need to combine text capsules you need to make subheadings using "heading 2" from the format drop-down list, but it's the only way to avoid these blank spaces.

Lots and lots of text in the first text box.

Jenny

4. Angela Harris profile image76

Thanks so much, Jenny!
    I suspected it was something like that, but I had no idea how to fix it. It looks absolutely awful. Okay, back to revamping quite a few hubs that I had already changed, but c'est la vie. Again, thanks for the heads up.

5. pauldeeds profile image
    pauldeedsposted 9 years ago

I'm gradually improving the logic for that.  It basically comes down to accurately estimating the height of each capsule based on the content in it.  It is a little harder to do than you'd think.

6. Whitney05 profile image66
    Whitney05posted 9 years ago

Paul, will we have to completely redo hubs again if you're working on changing the current logic? With the last change, I had to go through a ton of hubs and reformat and add unnecessary text to accomodate the oddball formating.

7. pauldeeds profile image
    pauldeedsposted 9 years ago

Probably not.   The changes should be small and will primarily affect link capsules and rss capsules.

8. Angela Harris profile image76

Thanks, Paul. It wasn't a complaint so much as just wondering what in the world was causing it and how to fix it. I think Hubpages is miles ahead of similar sites in regards to formatting and ease of use.

working