jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Is it bad to change your title?

1. Dorsi profile image90
    Dorsiposted 8 years ago

I've realized after publishing hubs that there was a better title I could have used- so I know you can't change the original title for the url, but if you change the title underneath at a later date- does that make it harder for search engines to pick up? Or does it matter?
    I've noticed my traffic dropping after I did this and just not sure if it's because I changed the titles or what- or it's just a quirk- or no one likes me anymore (sob sob)

2. marisuewrites profile image60
    marisuewritesposted 8 years ago

oh no!  I've changed several main titles...and added tags...and changed a word here and there...I hope changing the title didn't affect it negatively.. I've not noticed that the traffic went down...but I've noticed scores go down and up on a hub or two...even the most popular one I have now at 514 page views has had scores over 90 and under...weird
      should we not change the titles?

3. Misha profile image74
    Mishaposted 8 years ago

Your title should contain keywords you want to rank for in search engines. If it does not - change it and leave it alone, unless your keyword research shows new keywords to rank for, or you invented a catchier (for user) way to have old keywords there...

Oh, and please realize Google has a huge lag noticing your changes. It might happen in a few hours, but normally it happens in days or even weeks - so there is no such thing as "I change my title and my traffic dropped". It does not work that way.

4. Write On! profile image87
    Write On!posted 8 years ago

I change my titles all the time, especially when I find that they are not performing in the way I want them to.

Having your key search words in your title are critical to being found by search engines. 

Often times I will give my articles a more creative title for hubpages initial traffic, and then change for the search engines later, for the longterm life of a Hub. (hoping that eventually I will be picked up and get some page rank - who knows - still learning)

Write On!