will hubpages fix/correct a blurry picture?

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (21 posts)
  1. Missing Link profile image69
    Missing Linkposted 13 years ago

the only pictures I add to my hubs are quarter size (for the most part) because half size and full size come out blurry.

I would like to have bigger pictures however.

if I add a half size picture and it is blurry does hubpages fix this for me...like within a few hours.  Does hubpages have some built in mechanism which fixes this.

I go to stock photo sites and right click on a picture and then click on save picture as.

Then I add it to a hub through browse my computer.

The picture looks great on the stock photo site but only looks good once I download it to a hub if it is quarter size--otherwise it will be blurry---why?

this is the only way i know to download a picture to a hub. 

help and advice appreciated.

Thank you!

1. psycheskinner profile image84
      psycheskinnerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I hope you mean places like stck xchng that *allow* free use.  In which case you click on the picture to get a full size version and download that.

2. Marisa Wright profile image87
      Marisa Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think it's because you're copying the pictures from the site incorrectly.

Tell us where you're getting the photos and the steps to take to download them, and we can probably spot where you're going wrong.

As others have said, it may be you're trying to use photos you have no right to.

Missing Linkposted 13 years agoin reply to this

ok for example, I just downloaded a picture from http://www.sxc.hu

it is a grizzly bear and I have added it to this article http://hubpages.com/hub/How-To-Stay-Saf … ld-Animals

it is medium size and as you can see it is blurry.  When it was quarter size it was not blurry however I want my pics to be bigger

Here is what I did on stock  exchange.  I did a search for bear.  I selected that photo which is free.  I right clicked on it and then left clicked save picture as and I saved it as a jpeg.  Once in the hub I did browse on my own computer, found the photo and added it.  Not blurry quarter but blurry any other size.

I'd rather not pay for stocks photos but some I see look great are are not that expensive...?

1. Marisa Wright profile image87
          Marisa Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

There's your problem right there.   On Stock.xchng, the picture you see is just a preview.  There's a little "download" button which you click on to get the actual photo.

They intentionally make the preview photo poorer quality, so you have to join the site to get the photos.

I'm logged in there as we speak.  I am signed up.  I have not paid any money.  Where is the litte download button you speak of?

2. Missing Link profile image69

I got it!  I understand!  Yes!!  The bummer is I have to go back thru my hubs and resize/refind lots of other photos  Thanks so much!!

2. psycheskinner profile image84

Sxc has sizes that are general big enough.  Could you link to the  exact picture on Sxc, because I searched for 'grizzly bear' and can't find it.

I use their pics a lot.  I click on the picture, what for it to load in the browser, right click on it and save it to my desk top.  Works fine, not blurry.

Things to note, the first and last pictures are not sxc and cannot be downloaded or used for free.  Also some sxc picture require the photography be contacted for permission or credited.

Okay, is this the pic you used--it looks way big enough?
            http://www.sxc.hu/browse.phtml?f=downlo … id=1240153

2. Missing Link profile image69

clicking on the link you provide the quality looks great, I'm doing something wrong, Marisa has me clued in to something I'm doing wrong, tried to post a question to their forum but it would not take  Thanks!

The dowload link is an orange button, it doesn't show up properly on some browsers.

I got it!  I understand now.  Thanks so much!!  Now look at the pic in my hub, it is much bigger and clear--much better!

2. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

I have not noticed any system in place for fixing or correcting blurry pictures. However, the picture is at the time of uploading is how the picture will be seen.

I've done enough photo and celebrity hubs, to know that HubPages Hub creation tools are not adjustable nor do they make adjustments on their own.

You control what is displayed on your hub.

ok thanks!

3. IzzyM profile image86
    IzzyMposted 13 years ago

Hubpages will not fix this for you. It is a pixellation problem. You have to ensure you have a high quality photograph in the first place.
    Before you download a small image from the web, click it first to see if it expands. It quite often does. Donwnload the expanded image. It will upload in better format.

Thanks much!

4. darkside profile image64
    darksideposted 13 years ago

If you have a small image and stretch it larger, all you are doing is making each pixel larger, therefore it will appear blocky.

It's not something that can be fixed. The information of the original image (if larger) is no longer available.

5. lrohner profile image67
    lrohnerposted 13 years ago

Most stock photo sites give you the ability to properly download a picture--not grab it using the right-click option as you have been doing. Using the site's download feature normally allows you to download a high(er) resolution photo that you can use in different sizes on your hubs. When given a choice, I usually download the largest size as I can always shrink it down without losing quality.

And just to be certain--you are only taking photos that allow you license to duplicate, yes? You can't just go to any stock photo site and grab the photos without knowing a) whether it is licensed for commercial use; and b) whether there is any attribution you need to make (ie mention of photog's name, etc.).

thanks much!

yes I know that per the legal stuff

6. akirchner profile image91
    akirchnerposted 13 years ago

Those dang pixies mess everything up! I say get rid of the pixies and we'd all be home free. 

Seriously, I think it does have to do with the size of the picture and the resolution of the picture - only I sometimes have a hard time getting resolution right, too.

misery loves company

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)