jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (9 posts)

Your thoughts on diversity---

1. chigoiyke profile image60
    chigoiykeposted 6 years ago

Yeah good people, I have this great research work on diversity for publication and I need different views so the reason am bringing it here. What do you think is/are the positive role(s) multiculturalism plays or can play if tapped positively  in national development? Let's the US for example and compare the advantages of our multiculturalism to other nations that ve not discovered its potentials through multiculturalism while thinking about more opportunities. I am almost done with my writing but I think I need a little public opinion. Ok thanks, lets go.....

1. Uninvited Writer profile image83
      Uninvited Writerposted 6 years ago in reply to this

While there are some problems as there are in all countries, multiculturalism in Canada seems to be working quite well.

chigoiykeposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Yeah thats true. Same with Argentina. Thanks

2. Flightkeeper profile image80
    Flightkeeperposted 6 years ago

That's an interesting topic chigoiyke.  If you compare the US which is very diverse vs a country that's homogenous like Norway, Norway has less problems  Having a diverse population like everything else has its plusses and minuses.  In the long run though, I think diversity is more of a plus but there has to be something that unites within that diversity. E Pluribus Unum is something that we should continually strive for.

Thank you so very much. I never really knew much about the homogenity of Norway. I gotta do some studying now but oyeah I know their are great minuses but we are solely working on the pluses. Thank you man!

2. 0
      ryankettposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Would you attribute those additional American problems to diversity though?

Norway is incredibly resource rich and they are also very good with their money. They give free education to their people, at all levels, and invest their money in world markets rather than borrowing at alarming rates.

I would suggest that Norways success is through their effective foreign policies. Around 5 million people in Norway and they control 1% of all world stocks and shares. They do not involve themselves in wars.

The perception of Norway as a homogeneous country is also a little dated and flawed. Prior to 1960 there were hardly any non-Eu immigrants in the country, now non-EU citizens account for 2.5% of the population. That is actually a pretty fast growth rate. They began to accept political refugees during the eighties and nineties.

As of 2010 there were 552,313 inhabitants of Norway with an immigrant background, that is 11.4% of the population. Roughly the same proportion of non-Scottish people living in Scotland.

70,000 of these Norwiegen immigrants are muslim, and their best football player John Carew was born in Norway to a Gambian father 30 years ago...

My regards. Splendid. But I would really like to know about Norway prior 1960 and now. I think with what you are saying, you tend to drive at population. Now what role do you think diversity (though negligible) has played in the Norway of today against that of below the 1960's. A country can pay the fees of its citizens depending on population and national wealth and that has not explored or utilized its little diverse culturality for any positive development.  Is there anything you think the immigrants added to the development of Norway through their culturality and how well are those cultures appreciated in Norway today? Thank ya..

3. 0
    china manposted 6 years ago

If you compare the whole of society to one part - like food - without diversity you would be eating the same old same old every day - with diversity you get a huge range of cuisines from French through Mexican to Chinese and Indian and on.

It gives us more than one view on the same subject - and that is a healthy way to look at life.

Nice. But do we really need all cuisines? Am asking