jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (9 posts)

Steps prior to writing a hub

1. TwO1FouR profile image60
    TwO1FouRposted 6 years ago

Just curious of the steps that different hubbers take before publishing and writing an article. Do you write it on paper first? Microsoft word? Do you brainstorm? What exactly do you do?

1. WryLilt profile image87
      WryLiltposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I think of an idea, click create new hub, throw some words into google keyword tool to get an idea of what I should be throwing in there -
      Then I click the capsules I want to use (generally throw in 2 picture, 5 text, 1 news, 1 poll or video, 1 or 2 amazon capsules) then I title each capsule so I know what separate points I'm making. Once the titles are there it's easy to fill in the blanks and finish the hub off.
      Depending on the hub I spend a half hour to two hours on each one.
      I find that if I come up with a hub idea and just leave it blank and "work" on it I never end up doing it.

1. Marisa Wright profile image93
        Marisa Wrightposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I'm pretty much like WryLilt - if I plan a Hub, I'll never get around to writing it.  I just start the thing and see what comes out.  If I don't have time to write the whole Hub, I start it and save it empty, so it stares accusingly at me from my stats page until I finish it.

The sensible advice is to write the text in Word first, because you never know when your PC or HubPages might have a brain freeze.  However I have to confess I never follow my own advice.

2. warchild75 profile image49
      warchild75posted 6 years ago in reply to this

I tend to think of a hub then start creating it immediatly so as i dont forget it,even if its just the title,then when im ready and have more time on my hands i look on the keyword tool for ideas,then start writing my hub,as soon as i have finished it i then copy and paste it into word,save it then send it to my external hard drive just in case either hubpages ceases to exist anymore or my computer dies!!

2. Michael Willis profile image78
    Michael Willisposted 6 years ago

I will think about what it is I have chosen to write about and then I will make an outline with points I want to make. Then add more information to the points.
    There have been times I would start to just write on a subject and then go back and make an outline to help organize the article.
    And I do use Microsoft Word.

1. 0
      china manposted 6 years ago in reply to this

This is sound advice for any  writing.  I sometimes do this and sometimes I just write as it comes with no paper preparation but then I leave it a day or so then come back and rework it to make sense and catch any errors.

3. TwO1FouR profile image60
    TwO1FouRposted 6 years ago

Thanks for the advice guys!

4. Aficionada profile image93
    Aficionadaposted 6 years ago

I have one Word document, one Notepad (.txt) file, and now a steno pad (just started) with ideas for Hubs I want to write. My problem is choosing which idea is viable to write in the time I have available on a given day.  Some need a lot more research or thought than others.  If I get specific ideas for points to add to the general topic, I add them as notes to the appropriate idea document.

I write the Hub in Word, but usually over a period of a couple of days, so I normally have several in progress at the same time.  Often I'll go back and do a couple of rewrites for each one, because I usually just write the first draft as it comes to me, and that can be pretty sloppy and fairly incoherent. A lot of the organizing occurs during the rewriting.  Backwards, right?

I like the idea of doing keyword research before I get too far into the process, but I haven't gotten into that practice yet.

5. CrashDummyMan profile image60
    CrashDummyManposted 6 years ago

Microsoft Word then paste it into a Notepad file.  The running word count lets me know where I'm at in the article and how much more there is to write.