Craigslist- Have you ever used it?

Jump to Last Post 1-18 of 18 discussions (25 posts)
  1. RemmieRat4ever profile image59
    RemmieRat4everposted 13 years ago

I'm just curious if you have ever used it, and how successful you have been in trade with it. I got a hamster from it before, but it was the most untamed thing ever and I couldn't handle it. So my friend took it from me. I had paid a small amount for it. Now, I got two mice from there (still trying to figure out why they smell shrimpy??)
    Anyways, what kinds of things would you trust to get off of craigslist?

1. katiem2 profile image60
      katiem2posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Nothing living... big_smile

2. Candie V profile image63
      Candie Vposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Never bought anything, but I've sold lots.  Also tried to sell some jewelry, but the scammers from Nigeria hit on it IMMEDIATELY.. Had to pull them.

3. Stimp profile image60
      Stimpposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Before I buy anything at all I first go to Craigs List, then to ebay, then I check online retailers.  I've not found a pet on CL, you just never know why people are getting rid of it and it's not like you can return it.   I have also put ads to sell and to hire people for odd jobs.  For instance, I had 11 tons of hay being delivered in less than two hours, I put an ad on Craigs list for help and I got two guys in about 15 minutes....they were from the area so I felt they were trustworthy.  CL...all in all...has worked well for me.

2. Beelzedad profile image58
    Beelzedadposted 13 years ago

I've used Craigslist to buy and sell a number of items. Sure, there's lots of scams and rip offs but you have to diligent and very careful.

There are also so-called legitimate buyandsell websites. I answered one ad for a guy who claimed to be selling a Gibson Les Paul and he was adamant over the phone that it was what he claimed it was.

After dropping by and inspecting the guitar, I found quite quickly and easily that it was a fake Gibson. After sending a complaint to the buyandsell website, they said they could do nothing about it and kept running the crooks ad.

1. profile image0
      Home Girlposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I find KIJIJI better. I bought recently a table and four chairs from them. I find it easier to navigate, more specific, more convenient. I found what I was looking for, sent email, got response and end up with a bargain. I paid for the whole thing $60 and a new table like that would cost  at least $290+ tax. Of course, it's not new but in a very decent condition. Hopefully it will last. Recently I bought a bedroom set, new from a regular furniture store. Dressers are falling apart already! And I paid cash, so I cannot even complain. it was really cheap and now I am paying for being such a cheapskate!

1. RemmieRat4ever profile image59
        RemmieRat4everposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I had never heard of KIJIJI until now. Very interesting, thanks.

3. caninecrtitics profile image61
    caninecrtiticsposted 13 years ago

Craigslist is getting a little scary anymore thats why I always meet people at a mall or something never my house anymore not after all the incidents.  But I still like it to get deals.

4. Maddie Ruud profile image73
    Maddie Ruudposted 13 years ago

I would never get an animal or a date from Craigslist, but it works great for apartment- and job-hunting.  The free section is also a good place to look for curb alerts, if you're into freecycling.

1. Daniel Carter profile image62
      Daniel Carterposted 13 years agoin reply to this

There are some pretty big rental/house buy scams on criagslist as well. An example is that the owner is out of state or country, and if you send deposit money he will mail keys to you. It's an easy inspect to find the property is up for sale, or doesn't exist or something similar.

LOTS of scams on cr. Be careful.

5. profile image0
    Non-offensiveUserposted 13 years ago

My doctor told me that the shot he gave me should take care of everything I've ever gotten from Craigslist.

6. TamCor profile image80
    TamCorposted 13 years ago

We found a wonderful place to live, and my husband recently found a great job--both were located on Craigslist! big_smile

7. wychic profile image84
    wychicposted 13 years ago

I found my minivan on Craigslist smile. By chance my want ad (that had no name on it) was answered by someone who was in my class in high school (graduating class of 32 people) who was trying to sell the van for his grandparents. I was a little leery about its age, but when I showed up it was in gorgeous condition with really low miles, and they sold it to me for 1/3rd the book price.

I've bought a ton of things through the local newspaper ads, and people around here are slowly getting used to Craigslist, so use of that may increase in the future. Right now I'm trying to sell a '95 Ranger for parts (or...will be once I get around to writing the ad), but for the most part I do my trading on Freecycle.org

8. Flightkeeper profile image68
    Flightkeeperposted 13 years ago

I've never bought anything through Craigslist but my single mother friend was able to buy expensive baby stuff second hand for cheap and they worked well.

9. Journey * profile image69
    Journey *posted 13 years ago

I think Craigslist is really good for finding apartments and used furniture especially.

10. RobertAllenSavage profile image62
    RobertAllenSavageposted 13 years ago

Craigslist is one of those things I have come to hate. First and foremost, they sell your info. Secondly is is not secure, and third and perhaps most disturbing is the fact that they have no set criteria for posting. This is a predator or scam artists dream. I say use at your own risk. I tried to market a very successful product on Craigslist, and received ZERO response, which makes me suspicious.

11. Ben Evans profile image64
    Ben Evansposted 13 years ago

Craigslist is one of the best around.  Of any sales service, Craigslist has more ads and more eyes.  It is free.  It is bare bones and does not have a lot of filters and different ways to search the inventory.

As far as scams are concerned, everywhere on the internet is going to have them.  I have bought and sold industrial and heavy equipment for a living and I still trade a lot and probably do 10 to 15 transactions a week.  I have never run into a problem but have only dealt with people who have a phone number.

If you are going to buy and sell on the internet and you want the two best venues without paying a lot, it will be Ebay or Craigslist.  People can say what they want but there is no better place to list jobs than Craigslist period.  I believe that there is no better place to look for jobs.

While Craigslist is plain Jane, it has the most listings and most viewers.  I would say that Craigslist is a very good source to buy and sell.

12. KCC Big Country profile image83
    KCC Big Countryposted 13 years ago

I've sold a number of small items on Craigslist.  But, as someone mentioned earlier, be sure to meet at a busy well-lit location to make an exchange.  Do not agree to meet some place you're not familiar with or alone.

13. Jim Hunter profile image59
    Jim Hunterposted 13 years ago

Just bought six sets of scrubs for 15 dollars, shirt and pants retail at the cheapest for 5 for shirt 5 for pants.

14. wilderness profile image94
    wildernessposted 13 years ago

I've bought my car, sold 2 cars, bought a couch, gave away 11 windows, bought 3 baby beds for grandchildren, always check for yard sales, bought a set of tires; the list goes on and on.

Never a problem, and when I sold the car the buyer left me his concealed weapon permit while he test drove.

Obviously, I think they're great.  Be careful, don't expect more than you should - lots of scammers (still getting offers a year after the car sold offering more than I ask) - and you'll be fine.  A little common sense will go a long ways.

15. Stacie L profile image88
    Stacie Lposted 13 years ago

it all depends on what you are selling I guess.
    every time I list something for sale I get spammers who only want my email.
    I'm insisting on phone calls for now on

16. DesignerHandbags profile image61
    DesignerHandbagsposted 13 years ago

Bought a bag, found out it was fake, even though I did my homework. Very professional fake job. With Craigslist your on your own. Unlike eBay and Amazon where there are safety nets, you walk the tightrope without a net at Craigslist.

My advice, bring someone who knows a ton about what you are buying, so you don't get burned.

jenny

17. readytoescape profile image60
    readytoescapeposted 13 years ago

I have posted a few ads (mainly trucks & Boats for sale) and never gotten a response that wasn't spam mail or some Nigerian love letter or scam. Seems to have become a scam posting site or a place for scammers to glean email addresses. I no longer waste time on there.

1. Dave Barnett profile image57
      Dave Barnettposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It can be useful, but you do have to be careful. The employment section is pretty useful.

18. akirchner profile image92
    akirchnerposted 13 years ago

No but I want to! I wanted to sell some computer programs, etc. on it but I was not keen on the idea of having folks come to my house.  However, my son regularly sells tickets and things on it and has never had a problem.  My daughter and son-in-law sold a car, bought a new one, and use it likewise all the time.  I need to seriously get with it and take the plunge.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)