jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (10 posts)

where should I put this?

1. Ben Peck profile image60
    Ben Peckposted 6 years ago

what do you think?

also where should I put this?
    Is it literature, or and article.

And do I need to reference it.

Many thanks

http://hubpages.com/hub/Bastille-Day-wh … elebrating

2. Aficionada profile image93
    Aficionadaposted 6 years ago

I think you have put it in the right category:  Holidays and Celebrations> European Holidays> France Holidays.

It's a very interesting article; I'm really glad you wrote it and asked about it here (and glad that I read it).  Many of us get carried away by glib, short answers about that period of history.

Since your question appeared here in Extreme Hub Makeover, I would like to offer the suggestion that you do a little bit of polishing on sentence structure.  There are several run-on sentences that would be improved by better wording and punctuation.  Also, please notice that "lead" is not the past tense of "lead," even though a lot of people nowadays make the same slip.  The correct spelling is "led."

In answer to the question about whether you should reference it, you can always give links to other well-written, informative Hubs about the subject, and you can also mention books that you have read or other sources of information.

Ben Peckposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Thank you for replying.

Thanks for the suggestion on polishing,
      I'm always trying to improve my English, but with no formal education, I can make slips and I like to be pulled on them.

I did not know that about 'led' so, thank you, I will look at my punctuation as well.

When you say run-on sentences, do you men that they feel that they are open and not quite finished?

sorry,                                                            mean

3. profile image0
    Precious Williamsposted 6 years ago

Hi Ben
    I enjoyed reading it as well.  As you said you do have an issue with your sentence structure.  You're rather like me and tend to write some very long sentences when you should clearly be using a full stop.  I don't have the excuse of no formal education. As Alficionada has mentioned it would be great if you added some interesting links to it.

Thank you

links to other hubs that have been written on the same subject? or links to other sites on the same subject?

Which is best?

4. Aficionada profile image93

I think you want to link first of all to other Hubs on the same subject, as long as they are well-written.  We don't really want to send readers off to other sites without showing them what we offer first.  If you don't find any Hubs related to the topic and you do want to add links outside of HubPages, it's best to do that at the end of the article, so that the reader stays here as long as possible.

I'm still new enough with all of this that I am still trying to catch up on the subject of linking in general. Still, I do believe that a link to a very good resource outside of HubPages is valuable, but it would be more valuable for the other writer than for you (unless you are the author of the other article, in which case it's a win-win).  I hope other Hubbers will comment and expand on this.

(Grammar suggestions coming up shortly)

Thank you.

5. Aficionada profile image93

A "run-on sentence" is an old term for several sentences that are jumbled together without appropriate connectors such as and, but, etc., or punctuation such as a semicolon.  One example of a run-on sentence in your Hub (the second of these sentences):

A couple of different ways this could be improved would be:

and

Another (different) type of error is in the following example:

In this case, the second sentence begins with a phrase referring back to the first sentence, but because of its placement it should technically refer to the new subject "confidence."  One way to upgrade these two sentences would be:

Another possibility would be:

You can see that sometimes a very small change is all it takes to make a sentence better.  You are a good writer (better than some other Hubbers, in fact), and you have presented some very interesting material in a compelling way. I'm sure that you will be able to pick up pointers throughout HubPages to keep improving your writing day by day.

Thanks for the advice.

I will look into it all  : -)

working