jump to last post 1-10 of 10 discussions (14 posts)

Do you think athletes are overpaid?

1. Uninvited Writer profile image81
    Uninvited Writerposted 6 years ago

The owners obviously make enough to be able to pay those players. Just think of the taxes they will pay though, that should fix some roads smile

2. Misha profile image74
    Mishaposted 6 years ago

I think envy is a very destructive emotion...

1. 0
      Michael E. Hortonposted 6 years ago in reply to this

How are you doing today, Misha?

3. Cagsil profile image83
    Cagsilposted 6 years ago

Yes they are overpaid. But, if the owners are going to pay them, then that is their business. lol

1. 0

Yes, it's their money.

4. 0
    Michael E. Hortonposted 6 years ago

The world is already messed up, what the heck. I Should have played sports, but the old timers played for the love of the game. I would loved to have seen Mickey Mantle, Roger Maris, Lou Gehrig, Satchel Paige, Josh Gibson played.

5. I am DB Cooper profile image66
    I am DB Cooperposted 6 years ago

They make what the market demands and they're in short supply. They have a very unique skill and people will pay to watch them. Sure, we all probably know some great teachers who deserve to make millions of dollars a year, but collectively there are probably hundreds of thousands of those great teachers just in the United States. How many NBA-level basketball players are there? Maybe 400. High demand plus short supply equals a big payday for pro athletes.

1. 0

Someone asked the president to print more money.

6. Shadesbreath profile image89
    Shadesbreathposted 6 years ago

They're paid more than they are worth, but, it's what the market will bear, so, they aren't over-paid.

If you don't like it, you have to ask yourself why society doesn't value gifted scientists, authors and educators like it does entertainers and jocks--takes the great minds a lifetime to earn what slam-dunking simpleton can make in a year.

1. 0

You are right. Albert Einstein was a genius, wonder how much he made?

7. Don Simkovich profile image59
    Don Simkovichposted 6 years ago

I'm not overpaid and I'm an athlete . . . well, I was . . . but you probably don't mean me. Seriously, why do we complain about CEOs who run companies and are responsible for tens of thousands of jobs when many pro athletes make far more!

8. 0

You was a great quarterback, Don, how about the five touchdowns you threw in the Super bowl. lol

9. Ana Louis profile image83
    Ana Louisposted 6 years ago

They are paid huge amounts of money because we are willing to pay huge amounts of money to be entertainment.  Look at movie stars.  Are they worth the millions they are paid to star in some movie?  I don't think so, and I don't contribute to their wealth. Well, maybe a little.  I wait untill the DVD comes out, then wait for the previewed ones at Blockbuster.

10. 0