jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (5 posts)

Ebay: How do you excluded unwanted items

1. 2Tony profile image48
    2Tonyposted 6 years ago

This is what it says in the capsule and I'm sure it's simple.

'Unwanted items can be excluded with the addition of search terms to exclude with a - sign (e.g. "car -new").'

Not to sure what they mean here.

Help please

2. lrohner profile image85
    lrohnerposted 6 years ago

I don't use eBay, but I assume the capsules are the same as Amazon. Let's say you wanted the capsule to display toys for sale, so you use the keyword "toys." But maybe you don't want it to display toys made by Fisher-Price, so you give it the keyword toys and then add -Fisher-Price after it to say "give me toys for sale but don't add any that are made by Fisher-Price."

Make sense?

Let's say you want the capsule to show stuffed animals but not penguins. In the keyword box you would put "stuffed animals" -penguin.

1. 2Tony profile image48
      2Tonyposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Wow that was wierd
      I put in Catering - books and it through up all books.

It's one of them I'm afraid, I got there in the end, but dont ask me how.

THANKS Irohner

1. lrohner profile image85
        lrohnerposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Don't use the space after the hyphen. If you use: Catering -books (no space) it should bring up catering stuff without any books in the result.

2. darkside profile image83
      darksideposted 6 years ago in reply to this

lrohner has given some good examples.

It does take some creativity and imagination when trying to get the best results. If you wanted to display 'chairs' for example, and you didn't want them to be old ones it would be chairs -antique

What I do is make set the results to display 6, even if you don't need that many, but just do it temporarily while you try and find the best results and preview it it helps to be able to see as many as possible, and then keep adding words you want excluded to narrow down the search.

Be sure to copy and paste what you're doing just in case you save or publish and the ebay capsule ends up being empty for some unknown reason. This happens to me occasionally. At least then you've got it saved so you can copy and paste it back in rather than bang your head on the keyboard because you can't remember your fantastic ebay search string.

I often find that I need to exclude toys, or miniatures or doll (for doll sized items) for popular product niches. T-shirts is another.