jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

constructive criticism needed

1. marieryan profile image88
    marieryanposted 6 years ago

I have been writing on hubpages for months and I really enjoy it! I love the camaraderie that ther is among hubpage colleaues and I am really interested in developing my writing skills rather than making a fortune overnight....However, after writing over 15 hubs on several different topics and following lots of advice and tips from fellow hubpage writers, I am becoming slightly depressed!
    I have had 2500 page views, 49 'clicks' and my Google Adsense account is only at 12 dollars fifty! and it hasn't moved in months. Is this normal?

Please give me some constructive criticism ...or tell me my articles are simply not of the required standard.
    Please tell me where I am going wrong.

2. Rafini profile image81
    Rafiniposted 6 years ago

Hi Marieryan,

I looked at your losing weight hub - it looks fine, although you might want to add a few more photos near the top.

You've been on HP for 8 months and have 17 hubs with earnings of $12.50 so far.  I'd say that's not too shabby.  In order to earn more you should probably write more.

I've been here 5 months (in a few days it'll change) and have 35 hubs.  So far I've only earned $1.00. hmm  But my hubs aren't geared for earning me money, either.

Hope this helps. smile

3. lrohner profile image85
    lrohnerposted 6 years ago

Ditto what Rafini said, and I'm not sure I have a lot to add. Some could use a little work on tags, and some of the RSS feeds could be better (on your bilingual hub, the feed is showing something about Canadians and "senior power").

So, you've written and laid out some really good hubs with great information. If you're not getting the traffic you think you deserve, there can only be two possible explanations: 1) People aren't interested in the subject; or 2) There is interest in the subject, but folks are finding your competition instead of you. It's really up to you to discover which one it is. If it's lack of interest, then research some keywords until you find one that people are interested in. If your competition is simply beating you in the search engines, then it's time to do some aggressive backlinking.

Good luck!

4. Shadesbreath profile image89
    Shadesbreathposted 6 years ago

I just read your Washington Irving hub.  I can only say based on that one, that you will do fine.  Part of monetary progress on here for me has been just to write hubs that matter to me. I've hit some decent traffic just by luck. You write very well, your hub was totally informative, it had lots of good content. Seriously, it's fine. 

You might try writing your next Spanish grammar hub with a title like "Most asked Spanish Grammar Questions" or "How to use Spanish Verbs" or something.  Think what someone who might want to know what you are writing about would ask, rather than what the answer is.

5. DzyMsLizzy profile image90
    DzyMsLizzyposted 6 years ago

I can't advise you on the money-making aspect.  That's not why I arrived here.  I was simply looking for an open forum in which to publish/share my poems and a few other bits of writing.

I have very little faith in 'making money' with any of these ventures, based on prior experience with my blog.  It is not my motivation HERE.  .. My hope is only to get seen, known, and from there, perhaps end up getting paid for writing specific items such as travel magazines.  :::  shrug  ::::

6. Dame Scribe profile image61
    Dame Scribeposted 6 years ago

I read your weight loss and intensive learning Spanish, Hubs. They are well written and you're off to a great start. big_smile  I checked your tags and they are short and lots. I try to use strings of keywords and ask myself, what is this about? where can one find this information? will it help? what does it help? hmm everybody has different methods. Take a look around at other Hubs and see how they look in comparison to yours. I try to keep my own tags focussed and narrow so search doesn't get confused tongue lol

7. Lisa HW profile image82
    Lisa HWposted 6 years ago

Marie, nobody can ever really go by anyone else; but, for the most part, it often takes people about eight months to start earning anything noticeable.  To give you a reading, though, I had earned my first hundred dollars from Ad Sense alone at around eight months - but I had over a hundred Hubs by then.  From then on I the earnings went up from there, and I've been paid monthly since. 

So (again even though every Hub is different), if you figure you have a few fewer than 20 Hubs and have earned what you have, if you had around 100 Hubs you might have earned your first hundred dollars around now.  A good number of people say that after that first hundred the earnings pick up speed.

Don't let that be discouraging, though, because if you write a Hub that gets searched for frequently, you could earn quite a chunk each month, just on that Hub (or a few others that about stuff people are often searching for).  With so few Hubs, maybe it will just take you another month or so before you start seeing them pick up speed.  If you haven't done this yet, you may want to read up (search on here; there's lots of info) on how to increase traffic to your Hubs).