jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (12 posts)

How is revenue potential determined?

1. 0
    Charlinexposted 6 years ago

I just wonder how each revenue potential is determined (by topic or traffic), and by whom (computer or HB staff)?

1. relache profile image87
      relacheposted 6 years ago in reply to this

What you see as a series of asterisks is just a suggestion as determined by some sort of algorithm.  How you use that potential is what determines the true earning power of a Hub.  A low-potential Hub can be a top earner if you put effort into it.

2. lrohner profile image84
    lrohnerposted 6 years ago

I don't know the answer--subject, keywords, external traffic maybe? But I do know that you should forget about it and ignore the revenue potential figures. My highest AdSense earning hub is rated with $ while a few hubs that make me zippo have $$$$$. Go figure.

1. Flightkeeper profile image78
      Flightkeeperposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Irohner, do you recommend deleting hubs that haven't earned anything or do you still keep it because potentially it could?

1. climberjames profile image60
        climberjamesposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Good question, I would like to know the answer too, I bet I have 20 hubs that have had no traffic since their initial passing hubbers . . .

1. WryLilt profile image87
          WryLiltposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I know of at least one hubber who had an inactive hub for 15 months before it suddenly took off and started earning decent money.

So I guess... unless it's a really badly written, low quality, out of date hub, you should just leave it. It's not actually hurting anyone by being there.

Hubscores don't actually mean a lot - as long as you keep a reasonable score all your outward links are dofollow (which is good if you run or write on other sites) and other than that hub/profilescores don't effect traffic or earnings - they're more a general indication of them.

2. lrohner profile image84
        lrohnerposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I personally don't recommend deleting non-performing hubs unless you are going to post them elsewhere. I have a lot of one-offs that haven't done very well. But there may come a day where I want to expand on the subject and write a series of hubs and interlink them, or simply go back and try to tweak that hub to get some performance out of it.

3. GmaGoldie profile image87
    GmaGoldieposted 6 years ago

That is my question too!  Delete the low scores and non-earners?

1. englightenedsoul profile image60
      englightenedsoulposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Personally I wouldn't delete any hub unless it was poorly written.  You never know, in future it may be a big earner. 

And the revenue potential is mostly determined by the title of your hub and tags.  And it says revenue potential because, bringing traffic to your hub is your responsibility.  I don't look at them now.

2. Len Cannon profile image89
      Len Cannonposted 6 years ago in reply to this

To what purpose?  If something earns one cent a year, how does it hurt you to have it?

4. lrohner profile image84
    lrohnerposted 6 years ago

Let me give you guys a real-life example of why you wouldn't want to delete your non-performing hubs. I had one hub that got maybe one visitor per month (and that's being generous). This went on for six months or so. No visitors, no clicks, no earnings.

And then this darn thing I wrote about won some national competition about six or seven months ago and was featured in every news outlet everywhere. This niche thing is now mainstream and is top of mind with a certain set. My hub has consistently been getting 200 to 300 pageviews per day since that news broke and has now earned me a good chunk of change.

You just never know...

5. thisisoli profile image73
    thisisoliposted 6 years ago

Never delete hubs in my opinon, instead edit them,, make them better, backlink them, work on them!

I am not entirely sure how Hubpages calculate revenue percentage, but I am guessing it is to do with keyword value.

High value keywords tend to be high competition though, so you have to work much harder to earn more. This means that a low keyword value can often earn you more than a high value keyword.