jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (16 posts)

another Amazon question about over inflated prices

1. rebekahELLE profile image91
    rebekahELLEposted 6 years ago

I have a question or more of a concern. I have a product hub of a hot toy just recently released. I have checked the amazon site everyday for the item. I have only found it for sale at a much higher price than advertised, so I'm not using the amazon capsule. the top google ad on the page is from toys r us which has the product at the advertised price.

does this happen often?

it is my only product hub and I was shocked to see the inflated prices. I sent amazon a letter and they replied saying they weren't sure they would be getting anymore, but I saw today they do, but from the same place that has it way over priced!

1. psycheskinner profile image81
      psycheskinnerposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Was it the amazon price, or an affiliate's price?  Generally the insane prices are from affiliates.

rebekahELLEposted 6 years ago in reply to this

a third party, I haven't seen it on sale from amazon exclusively.

2. Len Cannon profile image86
    Len Cannonposted 6 years ago

Why not use it anyways?  Maybe someone will buy it and you'll make a chunk of change.  More likely, they'll be turned off by your high amazon price and go click the Google ad with the lower price instead. Win/win right?

I thought of that, I know it's going to be a hot item, and I jumped on it when it was promoted in Jan. my hub is on page 1 when you enter the product name. I guess I feel bad promoting it and then seeing it priced for $40-50 over the price.

1. waynet profile image49
        waynetposted 6 years ago in reply to this

The old saying supply and demand will and should take care of a few sales...online purchasers are an odd bunch, people want stuff they see straight away, impulse purchases happen frequently!!

Even if it's a high price, some people think that if they miss buying it this time, they might not get another chance later, due to their own money shortages or the product potentially selling out!

3. profile image0
    ryankettposted 6 years ago

I think what psycheskinner meant to say was a 'third party' price. Anybody can sell on Amazon, I once sold a Peter Rabbit calender for £48.... in April.... because there were none left, and somebody somewhere wanted it enough to pay the cash. I bought that for 50p from a clearance shelf in a shop, wish I had bought all 20 odd!

If there is only one seller on Amazon, with no competition, they will charge whatever they believe they can achieve.

1. psycheskinner profile image81
      psycheskinnerposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Yes, that's right--for some reason my brain came uo with the wrong word : /

1. profile image0
        ryankettposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Don't worry, we all knew what you meant wink

4. rebekahELLE profile image91

so even though in my hub, it states the price as 79.99, it's ok to have the amazon capsule showing it at 120.00? I have the software at the regular price.

1. profile image0
      ryankettposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Yes that is the correct way to do it, remember that as demand falls for the product... so will the price of the item in your capsule. You may as well be honest with them, then that solves your problem really doesn't it? Anybody who buys the item from your hub is doing so with the full knowledge that it is over the RRP, no guilt neccessary wink

2. waynet profile image49

If it's in limited supply, then why not!

But if you have listed the actual price in your hub, then this may change over time if more stock of the product is made available, so it may be better to not list the actual price....

or just be genuine about it, I would!

5. rebekahELLE profile image91

I'll add the product as is and keep the hub as written. when I check the toys r us site, it has it for the advertised price. 

so even though now, the only seller on amazon is third party, if someone orders it from the amazon link, I still get the amazon commission?

1. waynet profile image49

Yes, third parties do equal an affiliate commission...!

6. waynet profile image49
    waynetposted 6 years ago

By the way, Toys r us has an affiliate program with link share, might be a good idea to sign up and place an affiliate link directly within your hubs content!

thanks, I didn't know this! I'll check out their site.

thanks for all the advice!! I appreciate it.  I've added the systems to a capsule.

working