I need an analytics guru!

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (27 posts)
  1. wilderness profile image95
    wildernessposted 13 years ago

I have diligently watch my adsense and analytics charts and graphs for over a month now, trying to get a clue that I was doing something right.  Today I actually found I made money in June - my first real month of effort.  A whole $.02!  lol  I hadn't realized I could make money with no clicks.

I have watched as the daily ecpm went from a string of zeros to a steady stream of small ($.01 - $1.37)but positive numbers with even a couple of clicks in there somewhere.  Today, however, adsense shows 2 clicks and an ecpm of over $72 with estimated income of $1.60 for the day.

How can I find out what happened?  Sure seems like something to duplicate if I can but I have beat my head on the wall with analytics and can't find anything at all that might help.

1. thisisoli profile image69
      thisisoliposted 13 years agoin reply to this

it could just be a random high value click that skewed your earnings per thousand.

If you have 10 visit on a day, and get one click valued at $1.00 it would naturally estimate you would earn $100 per thousand visitors. unfortunately we can asume that this will not infact happen!

2. lrohner profile image68
    lrohnerposted 13 years ago

Do you have AdSense and Analytics linked up? When you're in Analytics and you click on "Content" on the left sidebar, do you see an option for "AdSense"?

And don't be fooled by the numbers. Poorly performing hubs can have a wacky eCPM when they get one or two clicks.

wildernessposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes, they are linked.  I just can't see any way on analytics to even find where clicks come from, let alone any ecpm.

I do, of course, have a few poorly performing hubs judging by their traffic reported by HP.  But wacky isn't the word for it when the ecpm goes from .50 to 72.00.  If I could find out why I would learn something about google if nothing else.

1. lrohner profile image68
        lrohnerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

When in Analytics, on the left sidebar click "Content" and then "AdSense". Then go to the upper right corner where it gives a range of dates and click on it. A calendar will show up. Click on June 1st to set the start date and then click on June 30th to set the end date. Now look down at the results. It should tell you which hubs got clicks during the month. In the lower left corner, click "View Full Report."

Does that tell you what you want to know? Once you see the hub that got the clicks, click on it. Now look under the graph towards the right. You should see a little box with dbl arrows that says "None". Click on that. It's a dropdown. You can choose to find out what keyword drove the people or what country they were from or any other information you want to know.

That looks like the screen I'm looking for - thanks a bunch.  It didn't tell me what I wanted - it doesn't agree with the adsense screen at all.  Maybe because adsense is all about "estimated" or maybe because of a time delay between updating the two.

In any case more info to digest about analytics.

3. Benjimester profile image88
    Benjimesterposted 13 years ago

You'll find that over time, hubs start performing better, mostly due to the fact that they slowly start to grow in pagerank.  It usually takes about 6 months for my web content to fully "mature."  Once that happens, your ads are worth more per click and they tend to get more long tailed keyword phrases from the search engines.  32 hubs is pretty good for just 2 months.  If you keep doing what you're doing, you should start to see the numbers pick up over time, that is if you did your research to find good topics and keyword phrases to write about.

My first few hubs had absolutely no SEO at all and were not popular topics.  Nevertheless they have had more traffic than any others, although I can see a trend already that will change that.  You're absolutely right about the aging process and I realize that 5 weeks (my oldest hub that had any real effort or SEO, however poorly done, in it) is not nearly enough time.

4. Benjimester profile image88
    Benjimesterposted 13 years ago

Ecpm is a measure of expected income per 1000 pageviews.  It takes the figures is has and projects them forward to 1000 views.  So if in your good day you earned $1.60 in lets say 50 pageviews that day, it would project outward and say, "According to this information, you should earn $32 per 1000 pageviews."  Ecpm means very little day by day.  You have to take the average over time.  It's there to let you know what you can expect.  If I get 1000 pageviews, I can expect to make $10.  Something like that.

Your information agrees with what I have deduced was correct - thanks.

It was just that a sudden daily ecpm of 50X anything I had seen kind of raise my eyebrows.  I've also had traffic suddenly triple my previous daily high, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised, but I was.

5. lrohner profile image68
    lrohnerposted 13 years ago

Please keep in mind that a poorly performing hub will showed whacked out numbers when it gets a click--I see outrageous eCPMs all the time on my less-than-stellar hubs.

Think of it this way. If you are doing a survey about fruit and you question two people--if one person says "apple" and the other says "orange", then 50% of the folks like apples. If you question 3 people and one still says apple and two say orange, only 33% of the people like apples. If you question 4 people and 3 say "orange," then only 25% of the people like apples. That's a big swing for something affected by only two additional people.

6. Pandoras Box profile image60
    Pandoras Boxposted 13 years ago

You'll have to create channels in adsense to track which hubs the earnings come from. I think it's a create channels button, but no time to go look right now. If noone comes along it gives you specifics and you can't find it in your adsense, start a new hub asking how to create channels in adsense. For me I click the see top channels button and go from there. But I'm not sure if that button appears if you have no existing channels yet.

If she has AdSense and Analytics linked, she doesn't have to use the URL channels in AdSense. Analytics will track the AdSense earnings for each hub by default.

1. Pandoras Box profile image60
        Pandoras Boxposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It does? Mine don't. Pageviews and all yeah, but not earnings or clicks.

Well, lemme rephrase. I have never seen that. Where at?

Now I gotta go, people yelling at me, bye.

1. Marisa Wright profile image87
          Marisa Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I've never looked at the detail, but I know my Adsense earnings on Analytics are totally out of whack with my earnings on Adsense itself, so I ignore the Analtyics version.

Wilderness, at the 2 month mark, it's too early to be basing any decisions on what Analytics is telling you, anyway.  Give your Hub a few months to settle down to its "normal" place on Google and it will make more sense.

Good point. Part of it may be due to the delay, but I suspect part of it is because of tracking methods. Let's say someone clicks on an AdSense ad but then backtracks before the page/ad actually loads. That will count in your estimated AdSense earnings (although not your final earnings), but I don't think it does in Analytics.

Anyhoo, I look at both as a flag in the wind. I personally use AdSense to determine earnings and Analytics for research.

"Analytics for research"  Enough information and maybe I can at least tell the general direction the flag is blowing if not the windspeed.

I'm slowly trying to learn to do that research; it's just so @^% difficult when I don't understand half the terms (bounce or exit rates, for example) or miss a simple button to click on.  I've probably spent 8 hours in the last couple of days on analytics and never found the particular collection of clicks you pointed out.

FYI...Your "bounce rate" is the number of people who read only one page and left the site. You want that number to be relatively low for your own website or blog, but here on HP, I would expect that number to high.

Ah, but what is a site?  That one hub?  ALL my own writings?  Or all of HP?

And if they click out on a google ad, wouldn't that be bounce and a good thing?

And if that's bounce, then what's "exit" rate?  They sound similar on google's description.

My head hurts!

And by the way, Irohner, thanks for the email.  I will mine your brain empty if you let me! lol

If someone comes to HP and only looks at one page and leaves, then that is considered a "bounce."

That's a good thing, but not necessarily a bounce.

If someone comes to HP via your hub, reads it and leaves, then that's a bounce. If someone comes to HP, reads several hubs but then leaves after reading yours, that's an exit.

Anytime. smile

2. wilderness profile image95

Marisa, I'm sure you are right in that it is far too soon to be basing decisions on results from existing hubs.  On the other hand that and reading other's hubs is all I've got.  Reading other hubs sometimes proves helpful in deducing the SEO technique but just as often my own research into what I think are their keywords proves the writer is a moron or insane.  At the same time the hubber is someone successful at hubbing, such as yourself, so that means I don't understand the keyword tool as well as I'd hoped.

Whereupon I am back to trying to glean tidbits of information or trends from anywhere I can get them, including sources that I know are not to be completely trusted.  I just file the information away with the other 5000 bits in the "questionable" file and keep plugging.  smile

1. Marisa Wright profile image87
              Marisa Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Wilderness, what I'm trying to say is - have patience.  If you were a scientist trying to do research, and you didn't have enough data yet, you wouldn't waste your time trying to learn from the little you already had.  You'd focus on gathering more data.

I wouldn't be trying to build on my existing Hubs right now - I'd be following the keyword finding ideas suggested by Susana in her Wonder Wheel Hub, and writing on a variety of topics.  Then in six months' time you'll start seeing a pattern and understanding which subjects are working.

7. Pandoras Box profile image60

Go to your account, hit adsense setup, then channels, then click url channels and then create new url channels and then put in the url of the hubs, one at a time as shown without the http://.

Gotta go, hope that helps, bye!

Pandore, I appreciate the help.  The only reason I have not done this already is the I understand the number of channels is limited (200?) and I fully intend to pass that number of hubs.

8. Pandoras Box profile image60

Okay not trying to impose on your question, wilderness, but I don't have this, and am trying to figure out why. I'll start a new thread, so as not to be a pain.

And yeh I get you on the 200 channel limit wilderness. So if there's another way, I'd like to know about it.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)