jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (7 posts)

Similar hubs

1. wilderness profile image96
    wildernessposted 6 years ago

I just now checked the indexing of one of my hubs and found that google has cached it with a "similar" notation.

It has a very similar name to an older hub on HP.  Although of radically different content it is still about the same subject, or at least pretty much so.

Do I need to take action because of the notation by google?  I could change the title (no need to change the content) but obviously can't change the URL so it doesn't seem that would do much good.

I'm a little surprised HP didn't notify me when I produced the hub; the only change in the title was the word "wood" instead of "hardwood".

2. Dame Scribe profile image60
    Dame Scribeposted 6 years ago

I wouldn't worry. smile Everybody has different perspectives and altogether different 'voice' when writing about a similiar subject.

wildernessposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Thanks, Dame.  The hubs really are quite different in content, but I'm a little concerned that either google will be upset or I might have unintentionally stepped on a hubbers toes.  A single hub isn't worth either one to me.

3. Dame Scribe profile image60
    Dame Scribeposted 6 years ago

No. Both may be similar in topics but doesn't anger management at the big G. wink

The big G.  I like that. lol I guess I won't worry overmuch, then - if the other hubber complains I'll cross that bridge when it happens.  Thanks

4. Fiction Teller profile image60
    Fiction Tellerposted 6 years ago

Hi Wilderness,

My experience is a little different.  Google seems to take a "first come first served" approach to primary keywords duplicated within a domain - it's not a rule, just a tendency noticed by some. 

When a more recent article does as well with the same keywords, it's usually because it's MUCH better than the first. 

This favoritism seems to be the case whether they're written by the same author or different ones.  So in my experience, Google seems to like one authority article per keyword per domain.

Changing the title IS effective if it targets different keywords - at least in my experience.  Even if the URL is different. You might wait and see if the hub gets good traffic.  If not, try changing the title.

Or you could try to compete.  I'm not sure you should worry about offending another hubber with similar keywords (and hardwood could be perceived as the same OR as different by Google - it's hard to tell).  I've had similarly titled articles follow mine on a site, and if they were better than mine, I didn't mind. wink

If you search Google, you'll see the keywords you've chosen in your flooring article are similar to many others at HubPages on the same subject.  It's a competitive set of keywords here.  If you want to stand out, read the other hubbers' hubs and find out what they DIDN'T do that you could do better - and do it in your hub.

Hope this helps.

Good advice, Fiction Teller.  I had tentatively decided to wait and see what happened with traffic, even though it will take some time. 

Hadn't thought about rewritng to cover what other hubbers had not - that's maybe a good thought in any case as far as our readers go.

working