Who here writes magazine style articles for hubs?

Jump to Last Post 1-22 of 22 discussions (46 posts)
  1. darkside profile image65
    darksideposted 13 years ago

Hopefully people know what I'm talking about. Hubs that wouldn't look out of place in a magazine. A mix of entertaining, educational, informational and not straying from the point.

Have you written many?

1. Lisa HW profile image61
      Lisa HWposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It depends on which magazine.  I can think of a couple/few that would be considered, "general magazine style".  A lot more that I've written may not be too different from stories that are in magazines that include personal stories.  A LOT of them wouldn't be magazine-worthy, that's for sure; but I don't usually write with the idea of "just fooling around" either.  If I were writing for a magazine I'd be more careful than I am on here.  I'll admit that.

2. Uninvited Writer profile image79
      Uninvited Writerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I like to think most of my hubs are written that way smile

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
        Marisa Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Me too smile

3. Lily Rose profile image85
      Lily Roseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think quite a few of mine could be considered "magazine style" articles...

4. lxxy profile image60
      lxxyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I don't know what to call most of my articles. They're sometimes verging on "magazine" style, but maybe it should be "iPad magazine" style. wink

darksideposted 13 years agoin reply to this

How well do hubs display in an iPad? Any formating issues?

2. darkside profile image65

I probably should have mentioned "general magazine style" because there are certainly a lot of specific styles which can get quite involved, such as scientific or medical journals.

But mainly the type of magazines one might expect sitting in the doctors office, so you can pick it up and have a casual read. Something that piques your interest, makes you think, but doesn't tax the gray matter too much.

Article titles starting with Whys, Hows and Whens usually work well.

I'm definitely one to stay away from "how's".  I pretty much don't know how to do anything any better than anyone else does. (But then, I don't read "how" articles either, because I don't want to know how to do anything I already don't know how to do either.     lol )  I think if some of my Hubs were cleaned up a little they might kind of work in some women's magazines. 

So, I probably have to go with "no", for the most part.  Your question, though, kind of highlights something for me  (and it isn't that Hubs are supposed to be "magazine style").  More, it's that if I were to start thinking in terms of magazine articles I'd be thinking up better stuff to write about.  I realize that I've always kind of thought in terms of, "how to write about whatever I feel like writing about in the most magazine-style way that's going happen with this particular subject".   

Of course, another angle to that is that there's really only so much time I want to spend researching a "real" magazine-style article that I'm most likely not going to get magazine money for.   hmm

3. darkside profile image65

You'd be surprised just how many people start a search query with "how to..." (how to invest, how to build a shed), "how is..." (how is paper made, how is ice cream made), "what is..." (what is philosophy, what is management), "what does..." (what does an accountant do, what does the large intestine do), "who is..." and "who invented..." to name a few.

Your thread has made me think.  I just went through my Hubs quickly and was surprised to find a bunch I'd say are "magazine style".  I'm bad with titles (good with "magazine-style" titles, but bad with Internet titles).  Something else I noticed was I have a bunch of "how to's" but didn't give them "how to" titles.  Instead they have titles like, "Finding your personal style".  hmm  Anyway, this thread has highlighted quite a few things.  Then I have a giant bunch of them that would otherwise be kind of magazine style if they weren't written from a first-person point of view (even if that point of view was based on research).

2. lrohner profile image69
      lrohnerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

No kidding. eHow has made gazillions with articles on "How to" do just about everything.

4. profile image0
    ryankettposted 13 years ago

Yes I would say that plenty of my hubs fall within those categories, especially the 5 which were subsequently published in print magazines. Including the one which you helped to put together wink

Most of my hubs in the past few months have been sales pages though, as I attempt to move away from a reliance on AdSense to exploit the potential of Amazon.....

I think sometimes an Amazon product is a solution to a problem.

So if you can identify the problem, and discuss it, then introduce the product (or product choices), then it could be a match made in heaven.

1. profile image0
        ryankettposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I am working on trying to maximise my Amazon exposure on existing hubs, one by one. At the beginning on never used Amazon capsules, and then when I began I would use a single product.

So for now I am going through each and every hubpage, starting from the earliest, and really thinking about the products displayed, where they are displayed, etc etc. It is also giving me an opportunity to notice small errors, ineffective tagging etc, and I am giving each hub a backlink in the process.

I am now up to hub 136, and I have seen my conversion rate effectively double from 1% to 2%, with about 50% more traffic through my capsules. With no impact on AdSense I must add... (I know that 2% is still a poor conversion rate!, but at this rate of progress I should get myself up to 4%)

My portfolio has become a beast which is getting hard to manage, so I felt that I should maximise the earnings potential from everything that I already have before exploiting new ideas. Once that is done, I will give your suggestion a proper crack...

So basically you mean something like "how to stop your laptop from overheating", during which I discuss several techniques, but focus heavily on the benefits of a laptop cooler? (I have already done this with different titles) and then recommend a couple of good laptop coolers at the bottom? I do like that idea.

My increased Amazon performance at the moment is actually coming as a result of monetising non-sales pages. For examples, I sold 2 footballs the other day on a hub about a historical football player.

Anyway, sorry about the essay (you were once used to those!), I am enjoying seeing the growth in my Amazon anyway.... this is the first time that I have hit the 6.5% threshold within the first 14 days of a month (although I know that isn't all that impressive), my aim is to hit that threshold within a week once finished..... and then move on with spending another year attempting to become Mark Knowles lol

Yes, like that.

Other methods can work well in selling. But I think that slips under the radar of people who avoid an obvious sales pitch.

Off-topic Mini Essay: Mind you, I do advise using a good laptop cooler. My last Australian summer before getting one saw my brand new notebook shut down because it was so damn hot. I got a stand with three fans in it and haven't had a problem since. I think if people want to get a computer to actually sit on their lap I suggest getting a netbook with the flash drive, rather than the mechanical HDD. I had to choice between a Dell netbook with 16 gig space and, it may have been an ASUS, with 160 gig, and I went with the Dell. No mechanical drive so no heating up so no need for a fan on it. My notebook never leaves my desk (too many things plugged into it... scanner, extra external HDDs, speakers and dual monitor set-up) and if I'm out and about or feel the need to recline on the couch I'll use the netbook. Or I would, been too busy playing with the new Kindle.

1. profile image0

I know Darkside, my last laptop got so bad that it would shut itself down if it wasn't sitting on top of a laptop cooler! I got a cheap and cheerful aluminium one, with two fans, it was about £15 ($22.50usd), and it worked a treat..... never overheated again...

And then I spilt coffee all over the damn thing. I have a desktop now, there is something attractive about being able to spill coffee over a keyboard without it being the end of the world...

1. profile image0

I can see great potential in a Darkside hub discussing the pros and cons of different types of online sales techniques wink

Making money from soliciting donations will be all cons. big_smile

2. lrohner profile image69
          lrohnerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You should easily be able to surpass the 4% mark, I would bet. My Amazon conversion rate is never less than 6% and is usually 10%+. You just need to test a few different sales methods and find out the one that works best for your writing style.

3. Spacey Gracey profile image38
          Spacey Graceyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Ryan - ignore me if I am telling you something you already know - but you could also use phrases like 'my laptop is making a funny whirring noise', 'my laptop keeps shutting down', 'my laptop is hot'. Darkside is dead right that tons of peple search for 'how do i....', but there's also a good few desperate souls who just  type their problem. And you already have the answers for them. So every person who has a problem where the solution is a laptop cooler, can they all find your laptop cooler hub easily, without knowing that a laptop cooler is what they are looking for. They might not even realise their laptop is overheating - I didn't.

1. Polly C profile image90
            Polly Cposted 13 years agoin reply to this

There is a lot of truth in that - I am one of the people who types my exact problem into the search engine, word for word!

5. darkside profile image65

Lisa, I think you've got some good magazine titles on some of your hubs:

* Why Men Are Often Reluctant to Seek Help from Physicians or Mental-Health Professionals

* When Anxiety Attacks

* Ways to Help a Newborn Sleep Better

Strictly speaking as a human being and not a search engine, they are titles which will attract real readers.

There's some "disconnect", though, between my occasional good title (the ones you mentioned aren't what I'd say are "magazine-style" articles") and my "magazine-style" articles, many of which have bad titles.    It's as if there's something wrong with some aspect of just about every Hub I have   lol.

6. darkside profile image65

There was 32 seconds between our posts being published, safe to say I hadn't seen what you had written while I was writing mine big_smile

7. travelespresso profile image68
    travelespressoposted 13 years ago

Several of my travel article would work well in a magazine. 

However, I'm pretty hopeless at producing eye catching titles.  In the past editors, who are very good at making excellent titles have "saved me"!

8. Lisa HW profile image61
    Lisa HWposted 13 years ago

What I find I'm faced with on here is often the decision to go with a "magazine style" article that may not be unique, and that isn't going to be based on anything other than research; or a "sort-of-magazine-ish" Hub that's unique to my personal knowledge/experience (and will therefore have a first-person point-of-view but may offer something different).  Sometimes I'll go with one.  Sometimes I'll go with the other.  By going with personal knowledge/experience there's "unique", but a person has to throw in that first-person factor in order not to create the impression the material comes from research.  It always seems to me that the researched, "professional", kind of article/Hub is ideal - but then there are things I think I really could share (based on personal knowledge/experience) that may actually make the Hub more useful. 

So I live in a chronic state of dilemma (at least on HubPages).   smile

9. earnestshub profile image81
    earnestshubposted 13 years ago

I believe some of my "How to" auto repair hubs could be considered to be magazine style. smile

10. Pcunix profile image90
    Pcunixposted 13 years ago

I have written some of this and some of that.

Too often I neglect the 'what would someone use as a search phrase if I wanted them to find this' question. 

In fact, I guess I always ignore it and just get lucky now and then.  That's really  something I shouldn't be so relaxed about, but I doubt I will change,  because I do well enough being sloppy.  I have tried to psych myself up and get enthusiastic about these things, but my heart just isn't in it.  Oh, well.. 

Oh, and I have a cooler.  And I have spilled stuff.  Not coffee, but milk, and it ruined my laptop keyboard and I had to buy another, but even so it still has problems so I had to plug in a USB keyboard :-)

11. Rafini profile image81
    Rafiniposted 13 years ago

I'd say most of my hubs are magazine style - those that aren't a story or poetry, anyway. (all of my hubs on my second account are - but I haven't published anything recently)

12. Jaggedfrost profile image59
    Jaggedfrostposted 13 years ago

I imagine there a lot of people here who try at that kind of ready to read style.  I have seen a lot of writers here including many who have already answered your inquiry who have a good flow to their work and a poetry and a brevity to their articles.  Usually if you can understand their posts, and they write copiously enough eventually a magazinesk rhythm begins to develop.  Trying to find us really depends on now diligently you are willing to look and how much you are willing to wade through the other stuff to find good articles.  As for how you should write, know that there is tons out there and if you don't have anything consist to say then you probably will not be read very often. If you don't have provocative titles you probably will have a hard time getting noticed.  If you aren't dedicated to spelling, grammar and increasingly more complex but logical formats people may write off your articles as spam and you may get some interest at first but it will drop off rapidly.
    Keep writing though and eventually it will come to you.

13. Joy56 profile image67
    Joy56posted 13 years ago

i have had several articles published in different magazines. I have never got it together on Hubpages to write articles, mainly because of laziness, and not knowing how to link up etc.  I think i may have a go, you have encouraged me.

14. chigoiyke profile image60
    chigoiykeposted 13 years ago

ve done that with some of my hubs

15. Joy56 profile image67
    Joy56posted 13 years ago

anyone give me a thread to a magazine style article that has proved succesful for you

16. KCC Big Country profile image86
    KCC Big Countryposted 13 years ago

Many of my hubs are written in a magazine style.

17. rmr profile image68
    rmrposted 13 years ago

I've written a few that are magazine style, although my titles are usually terrible. Some even have links from print magazines' websites.

18. Jane@CM profile image59
    Jane@CMposted 13 years ago

I wish I could write magazine style lol

19. rebekahELLE profile image84
    rebekahELLEposted 13 years ago

I think some of mine would fall into magazine style. Informational, educational, yet easy to read.

my son said his best performing ($$) hubs are his how-to hubs. he wrote them after he had to figure out how to do something and assumed others would be searching also.

The hands on approach definitely benefits the writing from the experience of getting in there and doing it yourself.

20. Joy56 profile image67
    Joy56posted 13 years ago

going over to look at some of these mag. style hubs thanks

1. Jaggedfrost profile image59
      Jaggedfrostposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Isn't it funny how everyone who posts here covets the style to write for magazines or claims to write that way.

Well the question was "Who here writes magazine style articles for hubs?" not sure about you but I didn't expect any poets or short fiction writers to turn up.

1. Jaggedfrost profile image59
          Jaggedfrostposted 13 years agoin reply to this

true but they might venture anyhow to write something of the sort because everyone wants to be just like the professionals in any craft. Writing is no different.

21. MalcolmKlock profile image61
    MalcolmKlockposted 13 years ago

I've only written a couple hubs, but they're definitely magazine style. They're certainly informative and I hope good reading, but I fear I may sometimes be being a little longwinded for the internet  attention span. Wondering if my more hardcore filmmaking advice is perhaps better suited to a less general venue than hubpages.

Ah well, love the community, definitely sticking around.

By the way, your Make Great Films On No Budget hub is excellent. I've read it twice and have posted a link to it on my Facebook wall.

22. Bard of Ely profile image79
    Bard of Elyposted 13 years ago

Some of my hubs had already been published in magazines and I am writing for hard copy magazines anyway as a source of income. Just been paid by Feed Your Brain magazine and have an article confirmed for Kindred Spirit.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)