jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (6 posts)

Question re: Plurals of Tags

1. stephhicks68 profile image85
    stephhicks68posted 8 years ago

Just wondering what people think about plurals of tag words.  I was "trained" on legal search engines (Westlaw and the like) that you do not need to add -s to the end of your words because a singular would be searched as plural.  The converse is not true; that is, if you add an -s, the search engines will not pick up the singular.

So - if I publish a hub on movies, then I can just tag it "movie" and searches for movies and movie will come up?  What do people think?  I don't want to add too many tags to cover both singular and plural (unless its something like child and children).

2. Inspirepub profile image87
    Inspirepubposted 8 years ago

My understanding is that search engines regard "word" and "words" to be totally different, so having both singular and plural in your tags is a good idea. Also add common mis-spellings ...

3. stephhicks68 profile image85
    stephhicks68posted 8 years ago

thank you!  that is very helpful for me (I sometimes do the misspellings) smile

1. vietnamese profile image79
      vietnameseposted 8 years ago in reply to this

I do both, unless I am in a lazy mood.

4. weblog profile image59
    weblogposted 8 years ago

Yes, misspellings will help as some people search with typing wrong, and mistake happens in fast typing. And, I also feel spelling variants are also as important as spelling variants. I'm using such tags too.

And, I don't agree all search engines are brilliant; some might omit plurals. So, using plurals as tags is not a bad idea.

5. Angela Harris profile image75
    Angela Harrisposted 8 years ago

I always use both. But with the misspelling tags- I'm assuming this means that I also have to include a misspelling in my actual hub, right? The OCD in me just cringes at the thought.