jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (6 posts)

Is my writing heartbreaking?

1. MeGunner profile image73
    MeGunnerposted 6 years ago

Hi all. A fellow hubber said my writing is ...'heartbreakingly descriptive'. I don't know if this comment was positive or negative, but I don't intend to influence the emotions of my readers. I just write, telling a story spiced with my own emotions at a particular period.
    What do you think? Here is my latest hub:http://hubpages.com/hub/Doctors-Diary-A-Tale-of-Two-Homes

1. katiem2 profile image61
      katiem2posted 6 years ago in reply to this

Sounds like a compliment.

Ignore the negative and accentuate the positive.  Remember a very diverse group of people travel through hub pages and are hubbers themselves, different people from different parts of the world use different words to say the same things...

Best Wishes,

2. Polly C profile image86
      Polly Cposted 6 years ago in reply to this

MeGunner, it is indeed a positive comment, influencing the emotions of your readers is the sign of being a good writer. You should definitely continue in the same way, it is the best quality of your writing. If you leave out the emotions then the words will become too clinical (which might be ok for doctors but not for the rest of us). I read the hub and yes, it is 'heartbreakingly descriptive', but it leaves your readers with a clearer picture of life elsewhere, and that is a good thing because it educates people. And people do tend to be moved the most by sad stories about children.

2. wilderness profile image95
    wildernessposted 6 years ago

"I just write, telling a story spiced with my own emotions at a particular period."  And that is the best way to provoke a response in other people. 

It was indeed heartbreaking; a compliment to your skill as a writer and two thumbs down to the people that allow the first circumstance to continue.

3. Rafini profile image81
    Rafiniposted 6 years ago

MeGunner - I just read your hub and I think the statement of Heartbreakingly Descriptive is actually mild.  I consider it a haunting image of truth.

4. akirchner profile image96
    akirchnerposted 6 years ago

Most definitely - run with the positive and try never to dwell on any negatives! That sounds like a very positive compliment to me!