jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (11 posts)

Do you conside this comment spam?

1. anne.moss profile image61
    anne.mossposted 6 years ago

Been getting comments from people who are not hubbers (or at least aren't logged in as hubbers). They leave links back to their websites which are clearly on-topic. That tells me they're looking for hubs on the same topic as their site, just to get the link back.

Now, the comments are relevant and good, and the link is nofollow, obviously, but I still feel a tad uncomfortable about these being comments made solely for the link back.

What do you think? do you approve these kind of comments or not?

1. sunforged profile image68
      sunforgedposted 6 years ago in reply to this

thats how the system works .. if you dont ever seek out comment links yourself then no need to reciprocate, but if it seems they have read the article and responded intelligently whats the problem?

your not losing visitors or traffic from some random link at the end of your articles in the comments.

in the end, if your uncomfortable then mark it as spam.. i very rarely approve comments w/ visible links

1. mailxpress profile image75
        mailxpressposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Hi Sunforged,

I'm glad you share your opinion of visible links shown on comments.  I decided months ago not to approve any comments which link outside of Hubpages.  Even if it's about the same topic as my Hub, I don't approve I simply delete.   Thank you.

2. reagu profile image79
      reaguposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I recall a few that I allow simply because the comments are relevant and added something to the hub.  Most are just denied and never to be seen again.

2. IzzyM profile image85
    IzzyMposted 6 years ago

If the comment is relevant I leave it, link or not. After all, is this not what we do when we are backlinking? We'd hate if everyone marked our own comments as spam on other forums just because we included a permissible link.

3. surf traveler profile image86
    surf travelerposted 6 years ago

Wouldn't the number of comments we receive on a hub improve our hub in terms of SERP's? Therefore, unless it is an off topic link, leave it.

4. Mighty Mom profile image92
    Mighty Momposted 6 years ago

I agree.
    The key differentiator being if the link and comment are related to your Hub topic,that's good.
    If someone comes and leaves a random comment and link with no bearing to your hub, it's spam.

5. gbrgn profile image84
    gbrgnposted 6 years ago

Agree with everyone that if the comment is on topic, post it. If not, delete. I always thought the more comments the better, and is basically more content added to your hub.

6. gqgirl profile image82
    gqgirlposted 6 years ago

I would have to agree with everyone else on this issue. If it's related and relevent and intelligant leave it. I've not had to deal with this issue, but if it would seem that they have read the hub and give insight no harm no foul smile Hope you find the answers you are looking for

7. brettb profile image71
    brettbposted 6 years ago

Are comments always nofollow? If so I'll leave them in - I've been deleting them from my hubs (especially finance related hubs).

1. anne.moss profile image61
      anne.mossposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Thanks for all the feedback everyone. Yes, the links to outside pages are always nofollow. I just suspect that while the content of the comments is legitimate, these people are probably using automated processes to find the hubs.

When I get these kinds of comments on my blog, with keywords for anchor text, I just allow the comment and delete the link. Just to clarify, I do have clear guidelines openly stated about this and my blogs are dofollow.

I think what I'll do is keep an eye on this kind of comments for quality and decide accordingly. Thanks for all the feedback!