jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (8 posts)

Feature Suggestion: HubPages Chat . .

1. climberjames profile image60
    climberjamesposted 6 years ago

I was thinking this could be a cool feature, take Facebook for example, with the bar along the bottom, it would be good to see those who you follow (and follow you back) that are online and have the option to chat with them.

I know HP is very different from FBK but I just though this may be cool, as aside from messaging someone or going off on a tangent within a forum post there is not really an oportunity to 'chat' with friends on HubPages . . .

. . . just a thought anyway, let me know what you think . . .

1. Marisa Wright profile image92
      Marisa Wrightposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Facebook is a social networking site, it exists to facilitate communication between friends.  That's not what HubPages is for.  The community is a nice bonus for people who write Hubs, not the reason for the site's existence.

Since the social side of Hubbing doesn't earn money for HubPages (except indirectly, by keeping Hubbers motivated), I can't see HP investing the time that would be needed to run a chat room.

By the way, followers are not friends - they're people who like your writing and want to read your Hubs.

2. WryLilt profile image87
    WryLiltposted 6 years ago

I think it's a good idea, but never really suggested it because:

(for a large general chatroom)
    1. It would probably need one dedicated moderator at minimum.
    2. Once you have one chat people will want one for every topic and so on.

I'm sure it would open up a lot of other cans of worms too. Good idea but may be a bit difficult to implement in a way that keeps the HP community both happy and safe.

(for a small one on one type thing)
    May be a bit of a pain to implement and a whole new area to be spammed in.

climberjamesposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Hey Wrylilt, I guess I was thinking along the lines of a one-on-one format, which would not require topics etc. But I didn’t really consider the moderation or spamming side of things.

3. Info Bucket profile image76
    Info Bucketposted 6 years ago

Good idea james!! That will be cool when HP have a chatroom. But as wrylilt said there's some obstacles.....

climberjamesposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Yea I guess . .

4. relache profile image86
    relacheposted 6 years ago

This is not the first time this idea has come up.  HubPages has said before that they don't have the resources to moderate such an item, I mean look at how hard they work to just barely keep up with the forums and answer sections?

Plus there are tons of places that already offer chat options on the web.  Interestingly, a few folks have set up outside chat rooms in the past for HubPages members, and not one of them has sustained itself.

5. travelespresso profile image82
    travelespressoposted 6 years ago

Nooooo!  I don't want to have this feature. 

I spend enough (enjoyable) time on HubPages.  I guess it depends on your reason for being here.  Mine is to write, learn about marketing my writing better and reading the work and stories of other hubbers.  I also like to interact in the forums when I can be of help or I need some advice. 

I am not at all interested in "chatting" to other hubbers.  I don't mean to sound rude because I really do think many hubbers sound very interesting. There are other places I go to chat to my friends - online and in person!