Is the Pagerank of a backlink used from the domain or the subdomain?

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (22 posts)
  1. easyguyevo profile image70
    easyguyevoposted 13 years ago

For example if I got a backlink from a webpage called lets say  www .computers. com/cpuforum
    If the pagerank of the domain (www .computers. com) was lets say 5 but the page rank of the sub-domain (www .computers. com/cpuforum) is 0. Will search engines recognize my backlink as a pagerank 5 or 0? I already know that they are some complicated calculations for weighing  backlinks in terms of boasting my serp (like the total amount of outgoing links on the page etc). I just want to know which one of the pageranks my backlink really has.

1. Shawn Scarborough profile image68
      Shawn Scarboroughposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The search engines to not publish any info on how page rank works.  Most people believe that a backlink gets its page rank from the domain itself and not a particular page on that domain or subdomain.

1. Peter Hoggan profile image68
        Peter Hogganposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Nonsense.

2. thisisoli profile image71
    thisisoliposted 13 years ago

Google have published this info, and talk about it rregularly. Page rnak is no secret, only the actual Google SERPS formula is kept under wraps.

Page Rank is on a page by page basis, so if you get a link the PR is from that page, not the domain.

3. Peter Hoggan profile image68
    Peter Hogganposted 13 years ago

Yep Oli is spot on, remember also that toolbar PageRank is anything but accurate. Toolbar PageRank is only updated a few times a year, real PageRank is dynamic and will be amended as links to your pages are discovered or dropped. Unfortunately toolbar PR won’t show this.

easyguyevoposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I see, thanks to all of you.
      So Peter do you know what is the average ratio between the dropped pages and discovered ones as in do more get dropped than discovered? I asked this because of course if links are dropped the pagerank will also and vice versa if links are gained. Then my backlink can become more valuable or almost worthless depending on the pagerank! So what I am really asking is what is the ratio between a page rank dropping or actually getting higher on average? Which happens more?

1. Peter Hoggan profile image68
        Peter Hogganposted 13 years agoin reply to this

PageRank isn’t a great driver of rankings anymore it has been seriously devalued over recent years, what weight Google gives PR only Google knows for sure. I wouldn’t worry about PR just make sure the links are from relevant pages and use appropriate keywords in the link text. Don’t keep using the same link text either, vary it slightly.

For a link to be dropped the link would have to be removed from the linking page, the page dropped from the index or the page penalized in some way so that PR is no longer  passed. This 'link rot' is unavoidable to some extent especially if you use forum signatures or blog comments as a way to build links. Those types of links can easily be switched to nofollow. Nofollow links will still send visitors but have no value as far as Google SEO or PageRank is concerned.

You can check you backlinks here:

https://siteexplorer.search.yahoo.com/

How do you find out if a link is do follow or no follow?

4. Bill Manning profile image68
    Bill Manningposted 13 years ago

This why so many who think they have a high PR link actually don't. I've never seen a link page, forum post link, blog post link and so on have much more than a 0 to 1 PR.

Only the home page usually has a high PR. So I try to get A-B-C links with sites on their front page. Hard to get however.

All the others I do get the links but I don't give a darn what the PR is because I know it's always going to be around,,,,, zero.

1. Mark Knowles profile image58
      Mark Knowlesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Then you are not looking in the right places. I have a page on my personal blog that is PR3, while the blog itself is only a PR2. making money blogging - and I dofollow all links in the comments section, plus I have a nifty little program that finds and links to your last blog post if you add the url of your blog.

So - be sure and leave me a comment.big_smile

1. thisisoli profile image71
        thisisoliposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That is the exception not the rule though, especially when posting on forums!

5. Peter Hoggan profile image68
    Peter Hogganposted 13 years ago

You need to look at the code of the page that is linking to you.

In Firefox click on view then select page source. Once you have switched to code view press control F and type the anchor text of the link into the find box. That should find your link and what you are looking for is something like

<a rel="nofollow" href="http://www.example.com/">Anchor Text</a>

If you see rel="nofollow" anywhere in the opening <a> tag it's a nofollow link.

Thanks alot Peter. Now I won't have to wait and see if I actually do get a backlink when I leave my link on a page using yahoo's tool. Thanks again

1. sunforged profile image71
        sunforgedposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I use NoDoFollow plug in for Firefox - as it can be easily clicke don and off.

SEO Quake and SEO for Firefox also integrate this feature (but it takes a few more clicks to toggle)

In addition to  dofollow, the page would also have to be indexed, sounds to me like your trying to develop profile links. When you create those new profiles there is no guarantee that they will ever be indexed, especially if you are never active at the site you created the profile on.

Well actually I was more looking for forum links. Thanks for the firefox tools thought they will indeed come in handy. By the way are their any for chrome since my firefox has issues?

6. sunforged profile image71
    sunforgedposted 13 years ago

Your firefox doesnt have issues - you just have installed some incompatible plugins.

Just selectively disable your plugins and toolbars until firefox is working in all its glory.

But, chrome probably has related plugins - Ive never had any use for it.

Firefox #1 for customization and power

Opera #2 Blazing fast browsing

Sorry, - i have no use or knowledge of other browsers anymore

What type of issue does your Firefox have? Firefox is by far the strongest browser for web development and seo tools - i would fix the issues

Yea. At first when i installed it, it worked fine for a few months then it slowly started to get slow and also stick alot. Then I turned to chrome. Thats only on this computer though on the others firefox works fine. Thought chrome to me is much faster when it is opening and creating new tabs and it also does not stick, at least not for me. This computer is pretty old though.

1. sunforged profile image71
        sunforgedposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Then the issue is probably outdated plugins - if you have no connection to your current settings, just uninstall, reinstall and start from scratch

Cool. But i will lose all my settings. O well, I will reinstall! Thanks again

I was putting it off for a long time but i sense the TIME IS NOW TO REINSTALL !

7. profile image0
    Go Writerposted 13 years ago

Hard to say.

I'm using SEOmoz's keyword difficulty tool, and it tells you that if you want to rank well for a certain keyword, that has, say, a moderate competitiveness rating, you need to either use a high-ranking domain that targets the term well or a low-ranking page that really had optimized individual pages for the keyword.

So I can't tell if it's both or one or the other. Both conditions seem to meet search engine compliance.

So in terms of Page Rank, it probably is simply just a guideline to tell you, yep, this is authoritative enough or nope, not too good to use for backlinks.

8. thisisoli profile image71
    thisisoliposted 13 years ago

I really need to spell check when I post, was most probably drunk when I said that, had a roughhhh weekend of parties round at my apartment!

If you want backlinks form forums you really have to concentrate on the quality of the forum rather than the page rank in my opinion.

Google uses a lot of ranking factors which build an overall 'trust' of a site, this reflects well on your own sites!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)