jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (10 posts)

Chatrooms and IM Sytem

1. 0
    SirDentposted 8 years ago

Not sure if this has been addressed before, but I think it would be great to have chatrooms and/or and IM system here on Hub pages. As it is right now anything we want to say to someone is public unless sent via the email link for each user. Also it is hard to keep up a convo smoothly in a forum.

1. compu-smart profile image80
      compu-smartposted 8 years ago in reply to this

Good point but not sure how it would work!!  also it may stop people writing in forums to ask for help, which is alwasy recorded to help others, so i think it would be unviable here at hubpages!!

2. SweetiePie profile image83
    SweetiePieposted 8 years ago

These are all good points.  Maybe a moderated chat room during certain hours?  This way people will still post in the forums most of the time, and be able to look forward to a chatroom a few times a week.

3. gamergirl profile image60
    gamergirlposted 8 years ago

I'm so not for an IM system.  I have too many as it is! LOL

1. 0
      SirDentposted 8 years ago in reply to this

It's just a suggestion. It could also be made so you can turn it off and on as you please.

1. Inspirepub profile image87
        Inspirepubposted 8 years ago in reply to this

You can IM with other Hubbers any time you like. I do.

There is no need for Hubpages to duplicate what already exists.

That's like asking Hubpages to build a phone system so we can call each other!

1. 0
          SirDentposted 8 years ago in reply to this

Good points. You too Gamergirl for seconding.

4. Shirley Anderson profile image85
    Shirley Andersonposted 8 years ago

I like the idea, so I vote yes.

Compu-Smart makes a good point, so somehow newbies would need to know that the IM is not for information seeking purposes, that they need to use the forum for that.

I don't have Messenger or Yahoo messenger so I wouldn't have any others.

5. gamergirl profile image60
    gamergirlposted 8 years ago

To reiterate what Jenny has said, if you want to IM with a Hubber, use the services many people (billions) already do.  The simplicity of Hubpages is a major part of it's allure.

It's not Myspace, it's not a social networking site in the way that most would think of them, it is a place, a hub, for writers.  In this vein, we can and do have the ability to trade our personal information - email and IM addresses for example - to the folk we'd like to chatter with.

There's always a forum thread, as well.

6. darkside profile image83
    darksideposted 8 years ago

Forum posts can be searched. They are there for all to see. So infinitely more helpful.

Chatrooms tend to have unfortunate results. You get a few people in a chatroom and they'll feel the need to say something, anything, just to stop the silence.

And often what they say can be misconstrued, or things can be taken out of context, or they just ramble on for the sake of it. No hope of thinking before they hit submit, because there's an urgency to get it onto the chatroom so others can read and not get bored and wander off.