jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (8 posts)

Links and page rank

1. ramkkasturi profile image60
    ramkkasturiposted 6 years ago

Is there any value to links between hubs by different hubbers within hub pages in google page ranking? Since most rank some where in pr2 do they have any weight attached at all?

2. Peter Hoggan profile image85
    Peter Hogganposted 6 years ago

If you are linking for PageRank you are linking for all the wrong reasons.

1. ramkkasturi profile image60
      ramkkasturiposted 6 years ago in reply to this

It is said that google PR depends on the quality of backlinks  you get and better pr puts the article ahead of others in the google index which in turn could result in traffic from search engines. You can link to whateever you want but it will not increase your traffic from search engines if the links are not valued by google because you end up  low in indexing and go back. Your traffic may increase from internal hp links if you are linked hp  hubs with higher direct traffic too, but I would think ultimately you need to focus on the search engine traffic for various reasons(including earnings). This is where the accuracy of of your keyword research also matters. That is the context of my discussion. One can be comfortable, I guess, only when significant percenage of my traffic begins to come from search engines and other refering sites.

3. girly_girl09 profile image79
    girly_girl09posted 6 years ago

Interlinking with relevant content is said to be helpful for Google page rank. But don't link stuff that isn't relevant. Don't worry about page rank when interlinking.

I find it helps boost traffic from search engines and then gets readers to "stick around" a lot longer and read my content. I try to write 5 articles on the same topic, with different angles and different sub-categories and then link them all together. It really helps.

4. Peter Hoggan profile image85

PageRank has little effect on rankings. Link for relevancy.

Consider this, PageRank is calculated in the absence of a search query, it is therefore a value that in itself has nothing to do with relevancy. Google ranks pages based heavily on relevancy not PageRank. In the past PageRank was given more weight and linking for PageRank made more sense.

1. 0
      ryankettposted 6 years ago in reply to this

An improving PageRank has almost always seen an improved SERPS placement for me. A PageRank promotion = an improved search engine placement. I maintain that this has been my experience.

Whilst it may be true that the improved PageRank has been obtained as a result of some of, or many of, the same factors attributed to the improving SERP placement, I believe that PageRank remains a great indication of the strength of a particular page.

What are the factors used in calculating PageRank? What is the alithogram? Whilst PageRank itself may prove to influence SERPS very minutely, there must at least be a number of factors which are used to calculate both PageRank and SERPS.

If backlinking etc increases PageRank, and improves SERPS, then it PR can still be a valuable indicator as to your performance. I still pay very close attention to PageRank, and so do most people. It wouldn't be sitting there at the top of my broswer on the SEO for firefox toolbar if it didn't remain a valuable source of information.

5. Peter Hoggan profile image85

There is nothing unusual in that a rise in PageRank should be accompanied by a rise in organic rankings. That doesn’t mean that PR is responsible in any great way for those improvements. Sure, PageRank is available through the Google toolbar but Google also removed PageRank from their webmasters tools not so long ago which to me is far more significant.

PR will go up even if you get links from unrelated pages that use untargeted anchor text, but that won’t improve rankings. Similarly, if you were to change the anchor text of every link that pointed to a particular web page or hub to something unrelated, PageRank would remain constant although rankings would fall.

PageRank is a quantitative measure not qualitative.

6. TerryGl profile image61
    TerryGlposted 6 years ago

Well personally, I am coming from a marketers perspective, that an increase in page rank has never equated to me earning any more sales or money.

Page rank to me is like the clouds, they come and go. If you want page rank then leave a few .edu domain comments. Won't make any difference though to your bottom line.

I would take the advice of Peter and Ryan on this one.

As to interlinking with other Hubpages you might want to consider using the same tags as they do. It is the tags themselves that rank well. Some tags do not make a presence on the serp's where other do. These are the tags you want on your page, not linking to someone elses hub.