Suggestion for Traffic reports

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (19 posts)
  1. DzyMsLizzy profile image85
    DzyMsLizzyposted 13 years ago

Hi-
      I was noticing that the traffic source reports include Twitter and Tweet Grid, but not Tweet Deck.

I normally use Tweet Deck, because it is much more user-friendly, and auto-refreshes (unlike Twitter home).  Also, as with Tweet Grid, anything posted there does feed over into Twitter main.  Tweet Grid is a PITA to use--it doesn't remember your settings, (that I've been able to figure out), and it seems most of the time, you have to manually re-enter your user name for each post.  This is very time-consuming.

So--in any case, since both of these services feed the posts directly into Twitter, where it CAN be read on Twitter main...I don't see the point of making a distinction at all between these sources.

Why, then, would any post I send in/promote via Tweet Deck not be reflected in my traffic sources?  It ends up on Twitter regardless.

Yet, while I KNOW that I have gotten traffic from my TD posts, I see fewer than those in my account report for Twitter.

So--I guess my question/suggestion is--since there does seem to be a distinction able to be made, can you add Tweet DECK to the list??  Thanks!

1. Pcunix profile image90
      Pcunixposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It isn't a traffic source unless someone reading it on Twitter clicks through to your hub.  I don't know if you meant to imply this, but it sounded like you thought just putting it on Twitter caused it to be a source?

DzyMsLizzyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Oh, my bad.. No, I pretty much understand that it's not going to show up as a source unless someone arrives here via a click-through.

2. DzyMsLizzy profile image85

Hellloooooo???   Is anyone here???? This question/suggestion is 4 weeks old, and no reply....

Does this particular forum topic get read, but not get replies? 

Just curious....

1. Aficionada profile image80
      Aficionadaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Since I don't use any of these (yet) - twitter, etc. - I can't comment on the exact situation you have mentioned.  But it seems to me that it is a question that is actually directed more towards the staff than towards other Hubbers.  Granted, it is often very useful to have other Hubbers comment on the questions we want to send to the staff, but.....

Since no one did comment (maybe this question/forum/thread just got lost before anyone did), why don't you simply e-mail the staff with the question?  There may be a logical reason for the way these are reported or not reported.

I do know that in the traffic stats, a source does not show up at all until there are at least five visitors from that specific source.

3. 2uesday profile image65
    2uesdayposted 13 years ago

If you want a more accurate idea of your traffic sources - and further information then google analytics is the best way to go.

Other people may find traffic sources figures accurate but I do not, I see it more as an indicator.

4. Marisa Wright profile image86
    Marisa Wrightposted 13 years ago

Miss Lizzy, when you look at Analytics can you see results from Tweetdeck?

Personally, I wouldn't have expected to see results from either Tweetgrid OR Tweetdeck, since I thought both services were just a method to post on Twitter.  So whether you post through TG or TD, the post doesn't reside on those sites - it's actually sent to Twitter and that's where people can read it.

Obviously I'm wrong, since you're getting traffic from TG.  Maybe Tweetdeck works differently and doesn't host a copy of the tweet?

5. DzyMsLizzy profile image85

Hi, everyone--

Thanks for your input.  From the title of this particular forum being "Report a Problem or Suggest a New Feature,"  I thought it was directed at staff for them to read.  I guess I was mistaken, there.  (Or, the forum category is mis-named.)

From what I understand, Tweet Grid is online, and Tweet Deck is a download that resides on your computer.  No matter--posts from there still show up on my main Twitter account, if I happen to sign in directly...so I do not see why there should be any distinction in the first place.  ::: shrug ::: hmm roll

As far as Google Analytics go, it gives me a headache!  I cannot figure out, despite having read instructions from several sources, how to make it see more than one site.  I have it for my Etsy shop, and I cannot make it work for my blog, or for here.

Supposedly, you paste their code onto either a certain page or on each page of the site you want reviewed...but on here, I see no place to paste any such code where it would be 'behind the scenes' and not visible as some kind of crazy post or errant code text within my profile.

(On my blog, I've put the code, as directed, and it just plain does not work...the blog remains invisible/ignored by
    G-A.)

On my Etsy site, I've looked at G-A a few times, and have not really found it terribly helpful.  Either I don't understand what it is telling me (there are some fairly esoteric and jargon-y terms in there about which I have no clue).

I'm no techie, so I don't understand all that code/html/java and jargon....

Hub Pages is the only site on which the traffic source seems to "matter."   over 76% of mine is internal from HP itself.  On my Etsy site, all that matters to me is, 'does my stuff sell?'  Where the traffic or ultimate sales come from is of little importance.  I do not care if it is another Etsian who made the purchase.  It's still a purchase, and it still counts.

Only here, on HP, does it seem to affect us if the traffic is not from external sources. Apparently, I still have much to learn.  (Sorry for the lengthy ramble...)

No, you are right, I'm pretty sure, that the staff does monitor this forum; but I just don't think it is as fast, and it certainly is not as direct, as e-mailing them.  My assumption (and it is only that, mind you) is that in this forum the problems and features reported or suggested are open for everyone to comment on and to weigh in on, and as a result  sometimes, when that is done, the OP changes their mind about a suggestion they had made. 

Since this forum thread got buried or lost originally, it's possible that it was assumed that there was not much support for the idea.  Or maybe it just simply got "lost" and the staff didn't see it.  Such things do sometimes happen.

Thanks, Aficionada,

Gosh--Ain't technology grand?  tongue

Trying to recall how I spent my days before computers....  hmmm. let's see....gosh, that was a long time ago... wink

-- You're welcome!  big_smile

-- Grand, indeed!

-- A long time ago... yep.... let's see:

B.C. = Before Computer
          B.C.E. = Before Computers Existed
          A.D. = After Dell
          C.E. = Computer Era

lol  lol  lol  lol

2. Marisa Wright profile image86
      Marisa Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

MsLizzy, think about your first paragraph for a minute. If Tweetgrid is online, that means anything you post on there is visible to other people and they can follow the link to your Hub.  If TweetDeck is on your own computer, how can anyone else see what you posted on it? 

TweetDeck is just a thing you use, personally, to post a tweet on Twitter. So the only place people can see that tweet is on Twitter, hence you will never see TweetDeck as a traffic source.

You paste your Google Analytics website ID (the number starting with UA-) in the "Affiliate settings" section of "My account".  Here's the instructions:

http://hubpages.com/faq/#googleanalytics

Finally, you are right about external traffic.  On HubPages, you make money when people click on your ads.  People don't join HubPages to read, they join to write - so other Hubbers aren't usually looking to buy anything.  Therefore they very rarely click on ads. 

For instance,the only time I click on an ad is if I want to buy something from Amazon - then I figure I might as well give someone the commission, and I'll click on someone's Amazon ad (not worrying what it's for) and go and find what I want.

I suspect Etsy is a bit different, because people who make crafts are often interested in buying crafts made by others.

Hi, Marisa,

LOL--yes, I realize that 'reads funny,' but my point was, since it ends up on Twitter anyway, why make any distinction between Tweet Grid and Twitter?  It ALL ends up ON Twitter.   neutral

Thanks for the directions for G-A--I'll read that and try again.

Cheers...

2. DzyMsLizzy profile image85

Hi, Marisa--

OK--here's where I ran into trouble--at first, I had read that I should put my profile URL into G-A ...  and I had done so. 

I just went back to check my G-A status, and it says "tracking not installed."  So, I edited it to just Hub Pages, generically, which is what it seems to tell me on that link you provided..

Then, I went to the bottom of the edit settings page, and clicked on  "Yes, this profile should receive AdSense data"  .. and  THIS is what I got:

Paste this code at the top of any webpage in this domain that contains AdSense ads. <script type="text/javascript">
        window.google_analytics_uacct = "UA-7743234-6";
        </script>
        Be sure to leave the Google Analytics tracking code at the bottom of your pages.

THAT's the code I was talking about, that I see NOWHERE on here to place any such thing, and not have it fully visible to any visitor.

Whoops--guess I should have blanked that out... did not realize it was going to include...my full acct

Crud!  THAT's why forum posts should be editable, like hub comments!!

1. WryLilt profile image88
            WryLiltposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Forum posts ARE editable for a short amount of time. Click "more" at the bottom then "edit".

http://hubpages.com/faq/#googleanalytics There are some basics.

Also, in regards to your problem as mentioned above -

When you reach the page that gives you that code, ignore the code,  instead at the top of the page it should say "Tracking not installed." There should be a button to click beside that to check again. It can take a little while so go back and just keep clicking the check again part.

If you've signed out of GA, once you sign back in click "Edit" next to your hubpages part and then click to check tracking again. As long as you have the code "UA-7743234-6" in the HP affiliates box, it will eventually work.

Thanks, Wry Lilt

I had installed G-A over a month ago--it still says "not installed"

I did not know that there was 'edit' under 'more'  ... it should be more obvious--as it is on the hub comments..  :-(  grrrr.

1. WryLilt profile image88
                WryLiltposted 13 years agoin reply to this

So as of this minute it isn't working? You don't have a contact button on your profile but if you email me through mine I'll be happy to help you step by step if you want. GA is definitely worth it, especially for keeping track of information HP doesn't and also of adsense if you're too lazy to set up channels (like me) or have over two hundred hubs.

2. Marisa Wright profile image86
          Marisa Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Ignore that.  Just take the UA- number and paste it into your Affiliates section under "My Account".  Then try testing it again.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)